THIRTY ONE. moss

Julia Schmidt was a simple girl

Julia Schmidt was a simple girl. She liked Leif Garrett, and her family, and grilled cheese. She liked Evie, too.

It had been a bit difficult, she would admit. Everybody knew that Evie and Cindy were a package deal, and that they were each others' best friends. It was hard not to feel like she was intruding, especially because Cindy didn't really like her as much as she liked Evie.

Cindy was always kind to her, but there was something different about her friendship with Evie. Julia had made her peace with it though, Evie had plenty of love to go around, and she never made Julia feel left out.

They were sitting outside the mess hall, the only grassy area that no activities were going on. Julia was braiding a bracelet out of blades of grass while Evie read her book.

"Wish I could make blue ones," Julia held up her newest creation. "Stupid fucking chlorophyll."

Evie turned the page with a thoughtful hum. "I don't know what that is."

Julia started explaining, but was interrupted by Gary coming and sitting beside them. "I would not want to be Ziggy Berman right now."

"What'd she do this time?" Julia asked.

"Apparently a group of Sunnyvalers found her in their cabin, so they tied her to the hanging tree and then apparently tried to set her on fire."

"What the fuck?" Evie looked away from her book. "Jesus Christ. Fucking Sunnyvalers, and I guess Kurt let them off with a warning?"

"Probably," Julia rolled her eyes. "God, bunch of pricks."

"Cindy's chewing into her now," Gary nodded.

"That's worse than the attempted murder."

Evie closed her book. "She's not that bad, guys."

Julia and Gary exchanged looks that told her they weren't going to press the issue but they definitely thought otherwise. "Spoken like someone who has never been yelled at by Cindy." Julia said before going back to her grass story.

Cindy had a reputation for being sweet. But, more than that, she had a reputation for being a stuck up goody-two-shoes. She would rat you out if you were doing something wrong regardless of whether or not you were her best friend.

She just had strong morals. It was something Evie liked about her, she wasn't afraid to hurt people's feelings while doing the right thing.

She knew Julia and Gary weren't being unkind, they were lovely, and they liked Cindy. But it often really felt like Evie was the only person who really understood her.

Unfortunately for Evie, Cindy didn't seem to understand her.

"Whoops," Julia snickered, bumping Evie's knee. "Busted." She nodded back towards the cabins where a nervous looking Cindy Berman was standing, trying to avoid looking over at their little assembled group.