SEVEN. some of us

Sam's room was half empty

Sam's room was half empty. Maddie had been over there a lot since the sleepover at Kate's the week before and it seemed Sam's parents' divorce was a lot more imminent than she'd let on, and her mother was currently in the process of moving Sam to Sunnyvale.

The blonde girl was currently folding clothes on her bed, packing them into a box, while Maddie lied face down on the carpeted floor. "You know, Maddie. While I appreciate the company, you know you can't hang out here forever,"

"Of course not," Maddie rolled onto her back. "I have a shift in twenty minutes. Speaking of which, can I get a ride?"

Sam finished with a pair of jeans, dumping them in the box. "Sure. It'll give me time away from my mom talking about how this will be a 'fresh start from people who are confusing me,'"

It was no secret that Sam's mother didn't approve of her relationship with Deena in the slightest. She made Sam feel like crap about it a lot. Sam put her shoes on and the two girls went downstairs to where Ms. Frasier was packing pots and pans into a box. "Hey, Mom. Can we borrow the car for a bit?"

Sam's mother looked up, examining Maddie. Maddie knew that Ms. Frasier was at least a little suspicious the two of them were together, but eventually nodded. "Be back before five,"

Sam kissed her mom on the cheek and grabbed the keys off the counter, the two girls retreating outside until they were safely on their way to Shadyside mall. "Your mom scares me," Maddie shuddered.

"She scares me," Sam admitted. "We don't even have to move, I don't get it. Dad's gone, I don't see why we can't stay here,"

"I know," Maddie said, understanding. "At least you're only half an hour away, we can still hang out,"

"If you and Simon get over yourselves and finally make out," Sam rolled her eyes. "Seriously, you left a sock at Kate's house and me and Simon were there yesterday and he couldn't stop staring at it like if he looked hard enough, you would appear,"

Maddie bit her lip, looking out the window as the houses went by. "I don't think I can face him. I mean, who the fuck does that? I had a panic attack in front of him, kissed him and then all but threw him out of my house,"

"Well, when you put it like that," Sam turned into the parking lot. "But trust me, Simon likes you. If you just talked to him, sounds crazy, I know, maybe the two of you would be able to get over this fight,"

"We're not fighting," Maddie argued as Sam pulled into a parking spot. It was nearly noon, the sun high over them as Maddie took off her sweater. The outside heat was a stark contrast to the air conditioning of Sam's car. Sam was pretty much planning on hanging out with Maddie until her shift ended at four, the two girls going into the mall. "We're just not exactly talking. You and Deena are fighting,"

Sam pushed Maddie as they walked. Maddie made sure she did everything she needed to, but she stopped when she went for her badge. "Shit. I left my name tag on my sweater in your car,"