17. as a coyote

AS A COYOTE

AS A COYOTE

My eyes slowly crept open as I awoke from the darkness. I adjusted my sight to a bright, metal room. I had no idea where we were. I'd never seen this place before. "They're awake. Guys, they're awake.

"Scott, you okay?" Stiles rushed over to Scott who I realised was a few meters away from me, sitting up on the cold floor.

"Yeah." He replied as he stood up steadily.

Malia almost ran over to me, kneeling by where I was laid on the ground. She lifted up a hand and moved it to my head before stroking my hair. "Are you alright?" She asked me, concerned.

I shuffled slightly were I was placed before rubbing my eyes. "Yeah."

"C'mon, let's get you up." She then placed a hand behind my back and helped me sit up straight before standing up and holding out her hand for me to take. I moved my hand onto hers and held on before lifting myself up off of the ground. Me and Malia were stood a few centimetres away from each other, still holding hands. She looked at me, a worried expression worn across her face. I'd never seen her this concerned for someone before. In fact, I don't know if I'd ever seen her this concerned about someone since I've known the werecoyote. "Are you sure you're okay?" She repeated her question in different form, looking me deep into the eyes and once again, making those butterflies in my stomach be released from their cage and flutter around.

"Yeah, I'm okay." I told her truthfully.

"They don't have him." The sudden voice from Scott drew us both apart, "They don't have Derek."

"We know." Kira informed him, "But right now, they've got Lydia."

Scott furrowed his eyebrows in pure confusion and shock as to why they had taken her, and only her, "Lydia? What do they want with Lydia?"

Kira cluelessly shrugged her shoulders before Scot charged at the large slider doors. He grabbed hold of the side, pulling and pulling until he just couldn't do it anymore. "This stupid thing won't budge."

I caught sight of Stiles mimicking what Scott was doing with the door, as if attempting to help him without speaking, without making any noise, and without Scott even seeing him. And obviously, without the help part.

"We already looked for a way out. I think a lot of people have." Kira told us.

"How the hell are we going to escape this prison?" I groaned as I slid my body slowly down the wall on the other side of the room to where Scott was still tying his best to open the doors and free us from this madhouse.

"I say when that door opens again, we take out whoever's standing in the way and run for it." Malia said boldly as she leaned against a large pole near the middle of the room.

"What about Lydia?" Kira questioned the coyote who still looked clueless as fuck as she asked that question.

"What about her?" She furrowed her eyebrows and waited for a valuable response.

"We're not leaving without her." Scott had finally turned around from the doors.

"Why not?" Malia asked. I pressed my lips together before I stood up from my admittedly comfy position and walked over to the oblivious girl leaning against a pole a few meters away from me.

"Because we don't leave without people, Malia. Remember, we talked about this? Rules of the wild kingdom don't apply to friends." I told her. "Unless they end up being a backstabbing bitch, then you can leave without them. Maybe even tear them up a little bit before you do." I said innocently followed by me looking at everyone's facial expressions around the room. They all looked at me full confusion about why I'd even tell her that or suggest it. "What?"

Kira widened her eyes in slight shock of Malia's response, "Is that what you would do as a coyote, leave her for dead?"

"If she was weak and injured, yeah." Malia answered truthfully and bluntly, "If hunting had been bad that season, I would eat her. Then I'd leave."

"Yeah..." I trailed off, not knowing how to respond to that one.

Scott shook his head before brushing it off and carrying on with planning our escape. "All right, guys, we're not dead yet. And that means Araya wants something."

"But if the Calaveras don't know where Derek is, that means they didn't take him from the loft. Right?" Kira suggested.

"Maybe he left on his own." Stiles put forward as a possible answer.

I turned to the group and pitched in my idea that had been swarming through my head the whole time we had been in this ridiculous metal container whatever it is. "Or maybe someone else got to him."

—————

I am extremely tired rn so have this before I go to sleep and I do apologise if there are any spelling errors or mistakes through this chapter :))