Part 24- Without the mask

She took another bite of the mint and dark chocolate ice cream, sneaking a glance at her three-month-long, black cat boyfriend. He was thoroughly enjoying his strawberries and cream-blueberry-blackberry combination of ice cream. They were settled next to each other, hidden away on a tall rooftop where they wouldn't be seen.

Despite him letting out happy hums with every bite, she couldn't shake the feeling of unease settling inside of her. It was Saturday, so she knew he'd come over to see her tonight, but he had shown up barely an hour ago in the middle of the afternoon, determined to get ice cream from Andre's with her.

She knew how risky it was for them to be seen together like this, and had told him as much when she saw him. They were dating in secret for a reason, but seeing how tense he seemed to be, how the lightness of his voice seemed strained, she knew something was wrong. His entire face had lit up when she finally agreed, and now here they were.

And now she had to know. "Chat, what's wrong?"

He stopped mid-bite, the spoon still in his mouth as he turned to look at her in surprise, "What's wrong with what?"

"With you." She said point blank, watching his shoulder's pick up as he straightened his back, "I'm with my purrincess, enjoying ice cream and the afternoon sun, why do you think something is wrong?"

He took another bite, almost as if he was trying to prove his point. She looked him over closely, reminding him, "You know this is risky."

He instantly tensed, and she kept going, "We agreed that we had to be different than other couples, because of this." She touched his mask carefully, pulling his sad gaze towards her, "And you know, that I know you better than that. Did something happen?"

His tail swished slightly, and he let out a heavy sigh, "It's nothing, honest."

"Chat Noir." She said seriously.

His ears flattened against his wild mane and he caved, "I want to be like this with you all the time, without the mask."

"You know why we can't." She whispered, wanting the same thing. She hated that she only saw Chat Noir when there was an akuma, or on those rare nights when he was able to sneak away.

"It's not fair." He said sharply, "Being with you makes me happy, we shouldn't have to hide it."

"No, and I wish we could be like this all the time too, but as long as Hawkmoth is out there threatening Paris, it isn't safe. I understand that." She said, lightly scratching the back of his head.

"But it's frustrating." He admitted, "I feel like I'm having to hide my heart, and I want everyone to know where my heart is." He touched the onyx heart pendant around her neck with a claw, "I want to be able to walk up to you and hug you without caring who sees, or having to circle your house ten times to make sure no one realizes where I'm going. I want to hold your hand and pull you close so that everyone can see that you are my purrincess."

She stared down at her ice cream, hating that she was no doubt part of the reason he was feeling this way. As Ladybug, she had warned him what being in a relationship with a civilian could mean, and the absolute potential for disaster that could follow. He'd practically begged, nearly to the point of tears for Ladybug to tell him that it was okay, that everything would be okay. He needed her approval, because he didn't want to go behind her back. He needed her to know how much Marinette meant to him, and how he was willing to do anything to make it work.

When he had offered to give up his Miraculous, she knew that she had to find a way to make it work. He was the only Chat Noir she'd ever want, and she made sure he knew that. He had been ecstatic when she gave him her blessing. He had raced off before she could collect herself, and she had barely made it back into her room when he was dropping onto her balcony.