Chapter 13: Race of the Century

I was honestly skeptical on the chances that Thomas would join the Forgotten, but I'm glad he did in the long run. Our numbers in New York grew over the past couple of days and Vought were beginning to take our presence here even more seriously; they're still trying to find ways to contact me on hopes that I would join their 'family'. Joining them may have it's perks, but I would rather work with my team that I know and trust than with Supes I barely even recognize. . .

With Darkbloom officially with us, we're up to four people with superpowers within our faction. As for the hit man Peter told me about, I decided to teleport us there instead of driving since it was faster, but unfortunately, when we got there, we learned from his nephew who was there that he just passed on. . . Several moments before we arrived. I'm honestly should've kept Peter from trying to get that man involved, I practically hope he found his peace due to his past.

When we returned to the base, it was practically jumping; more and more people were slowing swelling our ranks with small groups arriving every other day or so. Despite the fact that we were slowly starting to become a small army, I still felt that we still didn't have enough to storm the Market. Until then, we were going to have to stay in the planning phase.

The command room in the office was starting to look more and more like a command room as time passed. I could see Alan having already set up a place in the main room for him to do his work as our tech man, which was a little odd to me.

Me: "I thought you were gonna stay in your room for the tech work."

Alan: "And miss all the fun out here? Nah. This is more suiting for what I do."

I spotted Thomas sitting on the sofa nearby watching television, I go to see what was on and saw what looked to be a race between Supes A-Train and Shockwave.

Thomas: "There's been a lot of hype about this race happening today. (He looks at me.) "You wanna know what I can't understand?"

Me: "What?"

Thomas: "People are calling this a race of the century. What's so special about a race that's going to last for only a millisecond? (He chuckles softly.) I just don't understand it at all. The hype just feels . . . useless."

Me: "I never figured you were into this sort of thing; watching Vought events and judging them with disdain."

Thomas: "It's a hobby. One I developed to deal with a certain voice that won't shut up."

I remain silent for a few seconds before speaking again.

Me: A spirit's attached to you. . . . . A very demonic one at that."

Thomas remains unfazed as he continues to smile even though he was in a grim state.

Thomas: "It's that obvious?"

Me: (Shakes my head.) "No, well, yeah, I could see the signs. When I tried to read you back at the bar I was seeing nothing but shadows. And you also made it pretty clear back at the abandoned hospital."

Thomas chuckles a bit as I continue to talk.

Me: "What the hell happened to you, Thomas? You're obviously different from most Supes here, that much is true. . . . .How did you end up like this?"

Thomas: (Chuckles lightly) "Like I said before back in the hospital: If I ever decide to tell my story, you'll understand, Gerald."

We continue to look at the ad about the race and I thought of something.

Me: "I think it's time I made my presence known here in New York."

Elena catches word of what I just said.