Chapter Twenty-Six

Josephine

As I walk down the street to these apartments, I hold my little girl in my arms. Dodging other pedestrians in my path, I pause to look up at the sign and see where some of his friends at the university said he lived.

I walk into the lobby and get onto the elevator pressing the floor to his place. I look down at her and try not to cry. "Mami will be back for you one day Princess, I promise," she stirs in my arms as I kiss her forehead. "I promise," I whisper against her cheek.

Looking up, I try to keep my composure. The elevator dings and the door opens. Walking down the hallway, I count the numbers until I reach his apartment.

I take a deep breath and knock on the door. A woman answers with beautiful green eyes and long brown hair that cascades down her chest. It is the same woman that I woke up next to in the bar bathroom 10 months ago. She looks at the child, and then at me, confusion evident on her face. "Can I help you?" she asks, her voice is soothing and gentle.

"Um... I'm looking for an Alex," I say, trying to look past her hoping for a man to be here.

"I'm Alex." I look her up and down, now I'm the one perplexed.

"This can't be right. I was told that the guy I slept with nine months ago at the bar was named Alex. I...I tracked him down. I... don't believe this. There is no way I got knocked up by a woman," I say hysterically.

I must be losing my mind. First being told to give up my daughter and now being told I got knocked up by a woman. This makes no sense. I try to cover my mouth as I laugh in her face. I walk past her into the apartment and place my daughter gently on her couch.

As she closes the door, she turns back around, questioning what's happening. "Prove it!" I yell.

"Prove what?" she yells, throwing her hands in the air.

"Prove that you are the Alex that got me knocked up. That this isn't some kind of joke!"

"What do you want me to do? Drop my pants and show you my junk?" she asks in all seriousness.

I think about it. If this is a joke, fine, but if this is the father or mother... whatever, of my child. I need to know. I need to know she will be okay. I have never met any woman that has breasts and a penis. Though I know it is possible.

I look at my daughter and back at the woman in front of me. I nod, and she actually pulls her pants slightly down for me to see.

The blood drains from my face, and I turn around covering my face. I'm trying hard not to cry. This is too much. All of this is too much. My phone buzzes, and I pull it out to see a text from my father.

If he finds out who the father of my child is, this will not end well. He will stop at nothing to kill the child that came out of me because he would not understand where she came from. He will see Alex as an abomination of the bible. A fault in creation.

I muster up all the courage I have and turn around, letting every ounce of pain and suffering I am going through in this very instance out on her.

"You are an abomination! That thing right there. That THING is a monstrosity that came from you. You told me you were a man! Not this poorly built creation with boobs and a penis! What the hell! I'm not even gay. Should you even call yourself a woman?" I pace back and forth. I don't know why I'm laughing, maybe because I'm losing my mind at all of this.

Hateful words spill out of my mouth, not only about her but about the innocent child on the couch. I have to make her believe that I don't want the child. The thought that these words are my father's and not mine protrudes in my mind, and I have to warn her that this isn't the end. My father will come after the person that knocks me up to protect his image.