Aftermath

"Veronica, I'm going to need your help. We're going to lift her."

Nyx was vaguely aware of the sensation of hands upon her and that she was being picked up and carried; and then, she was sucked down into the vast ocean of unconsciousness once more.

When she roused again, she felt herself to be laid out on something soft and comfortable. As she blinked her aching eyes open, she found herself in a small, warmly lit room, laid upon a small truckle bed.

Looking down at herself, she saw all the blood was gone; her wounds were patched up and she was wearing a clean white dress.

"You're in the medical room." The answer came, preempting her question. "I've just handled your injuries; Ronnie gave you a change of clothes."

It was Doctor Montgomery- he was sitting at a table in the corner of the room, hurriedly writing on a sheet of paper.

Pushing herself up onto her elbows, Nyx exclaimed. "You're the Shadowhunter- the one Berenice talked about writing to!"

Carefully, Doctor Montgomery removed his spectacles and folded in the arms; he put them down on the table before turning towards her. "Actually, that would be my wife." He gestured to something on the table; there was the cracked picture frame containing the photo of them both together, her in a long, golden dress- their wedding day. And in front of it sat the ornamental crucifix, no longer a sword. "That weapon used to be hers."

"...Used to be?" Nyx swallowed at the implication. "...oh. And you're here to... find out what happened?"

"To continue her work." He smiled, folding the paper in half with a sharp crease. "And now, I have other things to get back to."

There was noise outside the door; a flurry of motion in the hall, the sounds of people shouting and running up and down. A riot was raging behind the hospital walls.

"What's going on?"

"Whatever that sonic shriek was, it shorted the entire security system. Bust all the locks." Doctor Montgomery said, his voice entirely calm. "Everyone's getting out of here. I suggest you do too." He stood up, tucking the paper into his coat. Nyx stood too. "There's a telephone box quarter of a mile down the road." He pointed. "Although I reckon Katherine's going to have stolen my car by now. " Turning to the table, he picked up the crucifix, a long chain dangling from it, making it a necklace, and offered it to her. "Take it. You're the first person in years whose been able to use it. Doesn't work for me."

For a moment, Nyx looked at him questioningly, asking if he was sure. Then, she took it from his hands. With renewed determination, she strode towards the door.

About to step out into the hallway, she paused, and turned back; a thought having struck. "Your wife... what was her name?"

"Nicasia. Nicasia Stormwalker."