And So Are You

Nyx was climbing into bed when the whispering started once more; the familiar ripple drifting through the air into the room.

Now this was getting ridiculous. This had to be beyond just checking her out; this thing was hanging around, coming to watch her every single night.

Shivering with adrenaline, Nyx recalled what she'd been talking about with Doctor Hannan earlier that day. "Just because I can't see you doesn't mean I'm scared of you." She glared into the dark at the translucent shape, jaw fixed in determination. "Go away. It's not going to work. You're not scary."
Nyx could practically taste the lies on her lips, and wouldn't have been surprised if the creature could do the same.

It seemed to have no reaction; indeed, she couldn't tell if it had even heard her at all. It just hung in the air, whispering to itself; the sound growing louder then softer then louder again. Suddenly, the volume rose louder and louder; the sound swelling to fill the room, the horrid droning forcing Nyx to cover her ears with her hands in an attempt to keep her sanity.
The creature seemed to rise, to hang above her in the air on an unholy wind; Nyx's hair whipping around her face as she turned her gaze up to watch it. Fear gripped her heart as she felt herself being pulled, like a planet caught in the gravity of an imploding star, up out of her bed towards the terrible being. Struggling to find a way to advert her awful fate, desperatly, she summoned up her voice. "What do you want?"

The creature let out a strange cry, and dove across the room, straight through the door. Immediately the wind stopped, dropping Nyx unceremoniously back on the bed.

Click.

Panicked, Nyx scrabbled to right herself on the mattress. No way...

Climbing out of the bed, she padded on bare feet across the room to the door. Carefully, she gave the handle an experimental pull. It swung open easily.

The creature unlocked the door...

Spooked, Nyx closed it again. Then, curiousity getting the better of her, she reached for the handle once more.

Had the creature wanted her to follow it? Why? Should she?

Well, this was probably a bad idea; but she was awake now, and there was no way she was falling asleep with the door unlocked.

Opening the door, she slipped out into the hall.

The hospital was deathly quiet at night; the hallways seeming even more cold and unfriendly then they did during the day, when they were filled with hustle and bustle. All the doors to the other bedrooms were shut and locked; their inhabitants safe and secure inside. Whilst she was free to roam. And it was thrilling.
Painted in moonlight and shadows, she found the whole world of night at her fingertips; her playground, her kingdom, to do with as she pleased. She could go anywhere, do anything, and nobody could stop her.

There was a commotion at the end of the hall, the space illuminated with pale lamps. Intrigued, Nyx crept closer; only to scuttle away in search of somewhere to hide as she saw a door open.

Finding herself at the foot of a flight of stairs, she crouched in the shadows, watching.

She was surprised to see Doctor Montgomery come out of the room; what was he doing still around at this time of the night?

The question was answered shortly, when two medical attendants emerged from the room carrying between them a stretcher.

Nyx stifled a sound; on the stretcher lay a humanoid shape, covered in a plain white cloth. A moment later her suspicions were confirmed when a limp hand slipped out from under the material; the pale limb hanging lifeless in the cool night air.

Shaking with fear, Nyx held her breath until they passed by; repressing any instinct born of fright that would prevent her from being invisible.

And then they were gone.

Waiting for a few moments to tick by, she slowly began to move; struggling to return feeling to her dead legs from being cramped in the corner. Turning, she reached for the banister of the stairs to help pull herself up.

... And came face to face with a pair of eyes looking out at her from the dark.

So yeah, double update this week! Just couldn't wait to get this one out XD
Also, I realised the hospital doesn't actually have a name, and I'm thinking it might need one. Anyone got any suggestions?