Hidden In The Pages

Alone in her room, Nyx was sitting on the bed, scouring through the diary.

Some very... interesting facts had arose. Some about people she knew.
At least two of her friends were older than she realised. Warlocks.

Many of the entries were eerily familiar. Reports of suspicious deaths, rising rumours and the genuine occurrence that something here was more than just wrong. This woman, this doctor- head of the hospital in her time- she had known. She had believed.

The confirmation couldn't help but hearten Nyx somewhat.

So what had happened?

Skipping forward a bit to the pages near the end, a certain entry caught her attention.

'I have sent a letter today away with my findings, to a nephilim acquaintance of my cousin's. His wife is said to be an expert in such creatures.'

Pinned to the page above the writing was a small wallet photograph. With a bit of negotiating of the ancient paper clip, Nyx removed and looked at it.

Doctor Montgomery's wife.

She was a Shadowhunter?

Her mind drifted back to the photo of them both on his desk- of her in the beautiful gold dress.

And then unconsciously to another point; the black smudge she had seen on the skin under Doctor Montgomery's sleeve.
Like a mark, or a tattoo, or... a rune.

"Did you know Montgomery was Doctor Montgomery's first name?"

The plot just kept thickening.

Intrigued by the revelation and what it could possibly mean, Nyx tucked the picture back into the book and carefully turned the page.

... Should she ask him about it? No, that would be foolish; she would then have to confess how she figured it out. And all that would do would get her in trouble.
... But what about Jace and the others that had come here? They hadn't seemed to know at all. Did they? Well, perhaps she shouldn't assume; maybe it was all part of the plan.

... It was a more relieving thought than the possibility of him being the monster.

Softly, her fingers brushed across the words on the next page, to draw her attention back to what was written there.

And suddenly, her eyes went silver.

Sorry I haven't updated in so long! Last month of Uni has been hectic with deadlines!