Why don't you tell me

"So am I with you now?" Nyx asked as she followed Doctor Montgomery into his office. It hadn't been long after their encounter in the hallway that she'd been informed of her session for the day being scheduled with him, and she couldn't help feeling- with some trepidation- that the two were connected.

"I do think it's best you're with me for the moment." Doctor Montgomery said calmly, crossing to his large chair behind his desk, resting his cane against the table as he sat down. "If that's alright with you of course."

Quickly Nyx nodded, not really sure what else to do; and took a seat on the sofa opposite, politely perching on the edge.

"Excellent." Montgomery smiled, steepling his hands together on his desk. "So, why don't you tell me what you've been doing?"

Nyx's stomach clenched and her throat went dry. "...What I've been doing?" She finally squeaked out, dreading what he meant.

He looked at her with kind eyes; his calm, fatherly demeanor reassuring despite her concerns. "Yes, tell me how you've been spending your days."

Nyx wanted to sigh in relief; she'd been overthinking, it was just a normal question. "Oh... I've been... doing some painting in art."

"Oh yes, I saw some of those." He smiled. "Some were very abstract. You definitely like using lots of colour. But I also like the ones you've made recently, with the little flowers- reminded me of our garden. You go out there quite a bit, I've noticed."

Nyx nodded slowly. "Yeah. I like the garden, it's nice and relaxing-" except when I get locked out there overnight. "-so I guess I do that a lot too. I also like to do things in the common rooms- reading and playing games and such- and, you know, just hanging out with my friends."

"Oh yes, I notice you seem to have made friends quite quickly."

"I think Ronnie just adopted me really." Nyx laughed.

"... Yeah, that checks out for Veronica." Montgomery chuckled lightly, scribbling something onto his notepad. "What about some of the others? How do you get on with them?"

"... I get on very well with Perry, actually." She replied after a moment of thought. "Reminds me somewhat of my older brothers."

"Periwinkle?" Montgomery nodded slowly. "I think you'll find them to be a good influence, being that they're one of our older patients." He paused to write down some more. "So what about your family?"

"What about them?"

"Tell me about them."

Nyx wrinkled her nose in confusion. "Don't you know about them? They're in my file-" She reached forwards to tap the folder on his desk. "-there."

Montgomery wore a bemused expression. "Yes, alright, I do know about your family. I just want to hear it in your own words."

Nyx huffed; her attempt at being difficult having been successfully defused. "Well... I'm adopted; my Mum- Rachel- she's a Warlock too. She took me in when I was small and didn't have anyone else. She's the best Mum anyone could ask for; she's so smart and caring and creative, and she always knows what to do, and she always has time for me. She... got sick recently- she was hurt..." Her voice trailed off as she grew sad. "...She's recovering, but it's taking time, and we've had to adapt a lot.
Then there's my oldest brother, Nick. Other than my Mum, he's been with me the longest. He seems like he's boring, but he's not- he's just reserved, particularly around people he's not close with, and he's quite protective of us. He's a vampire- so he's got a lot of 'old-fashioned' ideals. He's really smart though- he's been to university three times!
And Travis- he's the fun brother. The bad-influence, if you will." She giggled at the memory, then pulled a grimace. "Although not as bad an influence as his friend, Declan. Travis is really sweet though; he's had a bit of a rough life, but he wouldn't hurt a fly. He's got a daughter, Abby, which he had with Maddie, his ex-girlfriend. Maddie's a good friend of mine. I... used to help take care of Abby a lot- Travis didn't really know what he was doing with parenting, but he's learning. He's really good with her now!
And then there's Selene. She's my older sister. She's very glamorous; but she's lovely too. And her lifestyle is so exciting!
I... do think I have trouble connecting with her sometimes.... she came along much later and we've got quite different personalities. But I like her very much- I love her, of course- but I really like her and... I'm trying." She offered an almost embarrassed smile; as mad as she was with her family for sending her here, once she got going she hadn't a bad word to say about them- instead, she felt warm and happy inside thinking about it.
She was still sulking with them though.

Montgomery had been scribbling on his notepad all the while she'd been talking, but stopped moments after she did. "Is that everything?"

Nyx paused for a moment, mulling it over. Then spoke in a quiet, hesitant voice. "I also... recently discovered I have a half-sister, but I don't know if she wants me telling anyone about her."

His expression was curious, but Nyx said nothing more.

"So, what about your biological family?" He asked finally. "Other than your half-sister, of course. What do you know about them?"

Slowly, Nyx shook her head. "I don't really know anything."

Now Doctor Montgomery seemed really interested; leaning forwards slightly in his chair. "What do you think about that? Is it something you would want?"

Nyx didn't know how to answer; trying to string together her thoughts, her eyes drifted down to his desk in an effort to avoid his scrutinising gaze, coming to rest on the photograph of a younger Montgomery and his golden-dressed wife and the crucifix resting beside it. Studying the ornament with mild interest, she noticed the carved lightening-like pattern stretching out along each arm, each of the jagged veins inlaid with some kind of opalescent jewel.

Dragging her attention away, she gave Montgomery her honest answer. "I don't know. I guess I never thought about it much." She struggled to expand what she meant. "I have good life- I suppose I never felt the need to go looking. It's not that I decided I didn't ever want to find out, I just... figured whatever happened would happen. ...I don't hold it against... them... for not being with them or anything. Life happens that way sometimes, I understand." Spurred on by his silent listening, she thought about it a little more. "I don't think I'd mind finding out about my human parent. It's just... the rest I'm not sure about."

"That's fair." Montgomery affirmed. "And a very mature perspective, I might add."

"Look at me, all grown up." Nyx teased.

Montgomery smiled humourously. "Well, I'm sorry to say we haven't much time left, it was getting very interesting. I think we'll be picking this up tomorrow." Stacking his papers, he rose from the chair as Nyx did, crossing to the door to pull it open for her.

Nyx paused in the doorway. "Doctor Montgomery, can I ask you a personal question?"

"Depends what it is."

"Why do you carry a walking stick? You seem to walk fine and you're not very old."

"You're very curious, aren't you?" He responded with a twinkle in his eye. "Go on, catch up with your friends. And stay away from trouble."