The End to all Means

Jack rose to his feet. Only he, the Professor, and Jess remained. He limped past the Professor, towards his sister. She was standing along the side of the cliff-- standing over Nikki, who held a bloody Lacey's hand-- witnessing her handiwork with a maniacal laugh. Jack felt a stream of blood drip down his temple, and he stood as tall as he could.

"You, Valeyard and Warlords, get out of my sister now!"

Jess laughed, a sound that sent shivers up his spine. "We will never let her go. She has been so useful to us. And we shall consume until we can be brought back to this world!"

The Dark Thane appeared beside him, stepping out from the Time Vortex. "Hello, brother in law."

"You should get away. She'll kill you."

He shook his head. "No, she won't."

The Thane approached Jess and reached towards her neck. In one quick motion, he pulled the locket from around her neck. Pulling Nikki away from Lacey, he slowly backed away and turned to Jack.

"The only way to end this is not a pretty one, Boe. The Niece is one stubborn girl."

Jack shook his head. "I am not going to hurt my sister, if that is what you mean."

Jess made a noise. "Do it, Jack."

He turned to her. She was staring at the blood covering her. She covered her face in her hands. "You have to do it, Jack."

The Thane removed the defabricator from Jack's back and handed it to him. "Here."

Jack clutched the gun tightly and aimed it at his sister. He clenched his jaw in grief as he squeezed the trigger, a beam hitting Jess in the chest. She screamed in pain and doubled over, her body beginning to glow. She looked up at him, tears falling from her eyes in rivers. Nikki covered her eyes ans wept bitter tears.

"I love you, Jack."

He couldn't finish it. He couldn't kill his sister. He stood there, his finger on the trigger. Then, Jess looked at him. There was so much pain and suffering in her eyes. He had never seen her like that before. It was torture for her, he now understood, to watch her what the consciousnesses were doing with her body.

"I love you too, Jess," He cried and opened the Time Vortex Behind her.

She braced herself for the next shot. The Thane put his fist on Jack's shoulder and turned away in grief. Jack took aim, closed his eyes, and pulled the trigger. He opened his eyes and stared at the empty cliff face. The velocity of the impact had sent his sister into the Time Vortex.

He closed the Vortex and sank to his knees. His two hearts felt as if they were torn from his chest. He threw the gun away from him and tor at his hair, bending his face to the ground. He screamed in frustration and anger.

The Thane knelt on the ground beside him and stared at the cliff, tears welling in his own eyes. Nikki approached Lacey and shook her frantically. Their bloody friend did not stir to their demise.

"Lacey, wake up!"

Jack took in a deep, shakey breath. "She's gone. They are both gone. They are all gone. Lacey, Vincent, Jess..."

"Everything we knew is gone," Nikki whimpered.

"How am I going to live without her? I don't know what to do."

The Thane sighed. "I'll be honest, it will be hard for several years. After a while, the pain will stop, but you wil still experience some grief whenever you think about her."

Jack looked at his brother-in-law. "You have lost someone else, haven't you?"

"My sister... I don't know where she is. She disappeared. The last time I saw her was when all this mess started. When Jess..."

Nikki wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. "I know where you can find her. Or rather, where she can find you. But it will require the best acting from you and a little pain."

"Tell me, please. I can't stand this. I lost my wife and my sister."

"Nineteenth century London, mid-autumn, the Shanty."

I suppose we'll have to put on a great performance, then. Come, we'll talk inside."

They stood and entered the house. Jack was in a catatonic state,. staring at the spot he had last seen his sister. The pain was so unbearable. His eyes fell to the defabricator sitting beside him. He reached for it.