17. Friends

@innintendo

good morning sul!

ew mourning to you too

:D um
what's up?

we are at school, jeongin

and?

idk??
what's the purpose? do you have something to say?

my heart hurted
D:
hyunjin is absent
where are you?

he's absent?

why? miss him?

you read through me |
you read |
you |
I'm on the rooftop

on my way!
[ seen ]

The clouds drifted away, softly, absorbing into gentle strokes. Yeseul laid back, eyes squinted at the blueness above. She trailed her finger on the images she found in the whites, smiling at how glorious the weather made the day feel.

She pushed her volume, making the song flood her ears in heartwarming waves. Her eyes closed, mind almost fleeting back to Hyunjin. And his eyes. And his lips. And the kiss. Her heart skipped a beat. "It's cruel that he gets to stay absent while messing my mind."

"Huh?"

Yeseul opened her eyes, Jeongin's face blocking her view. The shadow almost made her confuse him with Hyunjin. She cursed, sitting up straight. Pulling down her headphones, she exclaimed, "You almost put me in a cardiac arrest."

"I did tell you I'm coming." The boy sat beside her, the turf tickling his legs. "Is this grass real?"

"Yep." Yeseul breathed, taking a coffee from her friend's hands.

"Rooftops with grass are illegal. I'm allergic."

"Sucks."

"Not too kind of you." Jeongin chuckled, laying on his back, taking to watching the sky.

"Why didn't he come?" Yeseul glanced at the boy, the silence following her question. The students downstairs could be heard cheering on the bleachers.

"Why don't you just text him?" Jeongin looked up at her, a teasing grin spread on his mouth. "I'm sure he'll tell you his reasons."

"Why? Your bestie didn't tell you the reason?" Yeseul challenged him back with a forced smile. He shook his head in disbelief.

"I texted him your number. He'll message you anytime."

Yeseul raised her eyebrows. "And why exactly did you do that?"

"Friends... should be there for each other. You know." Jeongin pulled himself up, his arms hugging his legs close. His lively gaze slowly turned soft with melancholy. He sighed.

"He doesn't have the best situation at home right now."

The girl could feel a hidden gloom eating her up. She nodded, and the day passed by with her longing for his presence. She also thought over her relationship with the boy. It terrified her that they had somehow lost their touch of their borders, ending up in each other's arms, although one would not believe that the time would have been enough to create that plethora of emotions she had felt swirling through her whole being.

Was it only a slip into a dream she had always wanted? Did she like Hyunjin only because fate had somehow had them tangled together? Her feelings couldn't do justice to her questions. She felt a fear form inside. Did Hyunjin like her? Or was it just a mistake that would be dismissed away?

From what she had experienced in life, friends weren't meant to act and feel as she had. After all these eventful happenings, could she still call him her friend?

[ +82 XX XXXX YYYY ]

hey yeseul
It's hyunjin.