55. Second Chances

It was Thursday morning, and Yeseul sat six feet away from Hyunjin. He couldn't keep his eyes away from her. She did her utmost to avoid them, finding patterns on the floor. Yohan was awkwardly between the tension of the couple. He was a boat in a raging sea. He drummed his fingers on jeans, waiting for someone to ease like a crack of sunlight.
T

he door behind them opened.

"Sorry to keep you guys waiting." James entered swiftly, falling back in the chair. Yohan breathed a sigh of relief. "Uh, yes," he flicked through the notes taking his sweet time again, "yes, Yohan and Yeseul, you both start today. I want you to take guidance through Mister Hyunjin. He's doing his extended research here while also volunteering as a T.A."

"No." Yeseul didn't look up. Hyunjin felt his heart jump at her voice. Oh how he missed it.

"I'm sorry?" James blinked at her. Yohan took a cautious look at Hyunjin. He raised a brow at him in return.

"I want to ask for someone else. I don't think Mister Hyunjin is qualified enough to mentor us."

Hyunjin bit the insides of his lips to keep himself from smiling. Yohan was too worried to interrupt. He was trying to hold onto both the strings. The reply pulled a deep chuckle from Mister James.

"You underestimate our guest, Yeseul. He was the only one among hundreds of applicants who made it in. He's perfectly qualified. I can promise that to you, right, Mister Hyunjin?" James turned to look at a very amused looking Hyunjin.

"I take my job seriously. I won't let Miss Yeseul down."

Yeseul had to steady her breathing. She shot a glare towards Hyunjin, who in return could only bless her with a softness in his eyes that stirred her insides.

"It's decided then!" James stood up. "You guys can meet in the study room after lunch. I will send a link to Mister Hyunjin's profile where you can leave your reviews after the session."

Yeseul couldn't swallow her food. The nerves inside her grew tighter, and the scowl in her face deepened by the passing minute. Yohan was too aware of her emotions to speak up. He hesitantly coughed.

"I am not enjoying this one bit." Yeseul stabbed the sausage with a fork.

"You really hate my cousin's guts, huh?" Yohan chewed on the now cold meal. He needed carbohydrates to make it through another room with the two in it.

Yeseul didn't reply. She let go of the fork and slumped in her seat. "He looked pale. Is he okay?"

Yohan's lips smirked up. "Is that worry I hear?"

"No!" Yeseul defended too sharply. "No. Not one bit. He just looked like a ghost and that's so annoying. I couldn't stand looking at his face."

"You did leave him standing in the rain all alone. He was down with a cold after that."

A deep weighted guilt sat in her core. Yeseul lost her remaining appetite. She wandered to her thoughts about Hyunjin. Suddenly the ticking of the clock and them facing each other again with no interrupting James felt loud. Yeseul felt a deep desire to do well in front of him. She couldn't let her guard be so up that turns her unrecognisable. She took a deep breath in. She had grades to improve.

"I'll be in the study room."

Yohan raised his eyes. "We still have at hour left." He said behind her with a mouthful of salad.

"I need to review for the class." And she was gone like a breeze.

Yohan couldn't help but smile at the unfolding tale. He pulled out his phone.

you have a good student in hands

you shall not pass my complicated test today

TODAY IS DAY 1 FFS
also I meant Yeseul
she is ready to shred you in class

physically or academically?

academically. be prepared for the warrior

angry yeseul is a sight to hold

you sound like you would worship the ground she walks on
seen.
oh?
seen.
OH!?
seen.

•••

qotd : how did you find my works? home page, recommendatins, or reading list?