54. Pouring Over Us

The last thing she had expected to do was to run away from Hyunjin. She was a contradiction in being. There was a deep longing to stand closer enough to him that she could count his eyelashes, but something inside her was leading her away like a broken North arm.

Her phone was buzzing nonstop. She couldn't think who it could be. The world was loud enough. Images of Hyunjin were loud enough. She walked across the campus, only to be poured upon by rumbling clouds. She was soaking wet by the time she reached the Literature block.

The shelter provided little relief. Her thoughts were so distracting, she didn't see the group of people heading towards her, making her bump shoulders with a couple, and receive odd looks. She sat against the wall, her heart racing a whole scenario of him.

"Why is he here? All of a sudden?"

The sky above was a snapshot of radiance. Yeseul flinched, shivering from the sudden drop in the temperature. Her brain was a pool of the time she and Hyunjin spent a night of thunderstorm together. She hated thunderstorms, but she missed the warmth he provided her that night.

Her phone started ringing. She pulled it out, seeing an unknown number on screen. She answered it, her stomach tight with anticipation. She could almost envision him on the other side.

"Yeseul?"

It was Yohan. She let out a shaky breath. "Hey."

"Let's skip the explanation part, but where are you? Because my cousin just ran out into an awful weather looking for you."

Yeseul rested her head on her knees. "Tell him to go inside."

"I don't know this lore," she could feel Yohan making vivid gestures, "but, I know he cares about you. Very deeply. More than you could ever wish for."

"You don't know a thing." She wanted to spit back. But the pain in her heart held her back. She felt a bitter taste in her mouth. Picturing Hyunjin soaked in the rain, looking for her. It didn't feel right. Her sitting in cover didn't feel right. This isn't who they were meant to turn into. "Tell him I'm okay. I'm safe."

Yohan was silent. Then he took a sharp inhale. "Sure." The call ended.

Hyunjin couldn't see a metre away from him. The rain was lashing the ground in pure rage. His concern for Yeseul was in overdrive. She had left no traces behind, and it scared him. Perhaps more than how thunder scared her. He ran, calling out for her, his pockets and shoes filled with water.

The phone in his coat rang. There was a part of him hoping it's her breaking the unnoticed silence, but it was Yohan. "Hyung, she said she's okay. You could go inside."

This statement on its own was like a punch into the gut. Hyunjin stopped, almost laughing. He felt angry at her.  At himself. "I want to see her."

"She doesn't."

"I don't care. I need to talk to her." Hyunjin was bitter now. He didn't care about the lightening sprawling above him, or the whole place flooding up. He needed answers.

"The more you pull, the more she pushes. No one wins. Please, hyung. You will fall sick."

"Why can't she care?" Hyunjin's question was a bare whisper, but it was too loud in his chest.

"I can't hear you. Please hurry up and come back for now."

Hyunjin didn't expect to feel the stinging tears in his eyes. He blinked them away, surfacing back to reality. The rain was louder than ever, drowning his thoughts. His shoulders fell and he carried himself to the near building. There wasn't anyone there, but he could hear a clamour inside. He stayed, the water from his clothes forming a puddle beneath his feet.

hyunjin🤍

I wish I could stand beside you in the rain
Not delivered. Tap to unblock.