26. Lights Out

Yeseul felt her heart thump a low beat. She stood upright, watching the boy in front of her exhausted to the bone. She rushed ahead, concern lining her eyes.

"Hyunjin?"

Hyunjin glanced at her, his lips slowly forming a grin. "Hey Yeseul." He stood up. "The storm is so bad."

Yeseul watched out, the clouds had grown darker and thicker, taking over the rest of the blue too. The rain was heavy as ever. She felt a hollowness form in her stomach, but shrugging it off, she settled her attention on Hyunjin. He seemed a bit better now, but his body kept shivering.

"You're going to catch a fever."

"I know. I think I already got sick." The boy chuckled.

Mister Kim followed. "You both should leave for home now. I'll shut off the shop in a few minutes."

Yeseul nodded, watching their manager turn back to his work again.

"Hey."

Hyunjin looked at her. "Yeah?"

"Do you," she bit her lip, not knowing whether she should continue. "Do you want to come to my place?"

She caught a momentary moment of Hyunjin's eyes dilating from surprise. He didn't say much. His lips stayed parted.

"I live closer, you know." She cursed herself out a million times from inside. Her fingers kept fiddling with her apron. She awaited the decline.

Instead the boy nodded. "Okay."

Her chest was overtaken by sudden warmth. She couldn't breathe for a brief second. Yeseul blinked at Hyunjin, who was now pushing the door open. "Let's go."

Behind the composed expression, Hyunjin could swear he was a puddle of emotions.

_____

When the two friends arrived at Yeseul's place, the rain turned gentle. But it didn't change the fact that the two were now shivering in soaked clothes and filled shoes.

Yeseul pushed the key in the lock, and pushed the door open. Hyunjin followed, taking off his shoes.

"Just give me a minute. I'll be right back." Hyunjin nodded, standing still near the entry. He could hear Yeseul fumbling the drawers, the observation making him smile softly. She came back with a big towel.

"Take off your jacket."

Hyunjin followed her instructions. She grabbed it, leaving again to put the wet cloth in the dryer. Hyunjin didn't dare move from his spot. He was too nervous. He always was nervous around the girl, but tonight it seemed to have doubled. He let out a shaky breath.

"I'm so sorry for keeping you waiting." Yeseul put the towel around him, drying him up as if he was a child.

"Stop." Hyunjin held down Yeseul's wrist softly, looking at her eyes. "You're making me feel weird." He laughed. "I'm not a kid, you know?"

"Oh." She let go of the towel. "I'm sorry. I don't usually have guests visiting me, so I'm pretty bad at this."

Hyunjin stifled in a grin. Yeseul blushed, looking around frantically. "Oh yes, tea. Let me make some for you right away."

Before she could disappear again, Hyunjin softly called her. She stopped, slowly turning back. "Yes?"

"Won't you invite me inside?"

"Yes, yes. Please. I'm so sorry. I'm so scatterbrained. This is embarrassing."

Hyunjin walked in, following her to the kitchen. The place felt warm. Suddenly turning into a second home. There were dried lavenders hanging in one corner, and a small television sitting on the counter. There were mostly books covering the dining table. It felt disorganised, yet in a nice way. Life. It felt like life was still throbbing in this house.

Yeseul turned on the faucet, filling the utensil with water. She glanced back at Hyunjin who was silently watching the place. "It's messy. Don't look too hard."

"I like it." Hyunjin smiled at her, walking over. "What are you making?"

"Lemon tea." Yeseul could feel Hyunjin looming over her from behind, unaware of what this closeness did to her heart.

"Do you want me to help you?"

Too close. He is too close. Yeseul felt her brain go blank for a second. She was annoyed. "Just go and sit there quietly."

Hyunjin laughed silently. "Hey, come on. I want to do something helpful too."

Yeseul turned around. She wished she didn't, because now she was facing Hyunjin, and feeling cornered against the counter. She cleared her throat, looking away. Hyunjin suddenly seemed to realise. He took a step back, doing justice to both of them.

"Popcorn."

"Huh?"

"Make popcorn then. It's in the pantry there. Let's watch a movie." Yeseul quickly turned away, feeling the boy slowly walk away. She sighed, turning the stove on before she put the water on it for a boil.

Hyunjin felt a fluttering feeling swarm him. He was aching for things that he was scared of. Them two alone in the small place was something that wasn't helping either. His heart couldn't catch a break. The smallest of glances of Yeseul would push him into spells he couldn't break out of. He barely understood what was wrong with him. Maybe he was sick.

Yeseul rushed upstairs, opening closets that had been shut for weeks. There were oversized T-shirts, and sweatpants. There also was a black cardigan that belonged to her grandfather. Non of these clothes were worn. Yeseul still made sure non of them caught dust over time, so she always gave them a wash from time to time. Taking a white T-shirt, black sweatpants and the black cardigan, she walked downstairs to the kitchen. Hyunjin was busy cutting open the popcorn bag.

"Hey."

He looked startled. But his expression softened on finding her face. "Yeah?"

"I filled the tub for you. I also found some spare clothes. You should take a bath and get changed." Yeseul took the popcorn packet from his hand before pulling him towards the bathroom by the wet sleeve.

Hyunjin almost passed out. Yeseul was torturing his heart too much. Yet things couldn't be paused. Everything rushed too fast. Halfway through his bath the lights went out.