22. Florists

"What?"

The class roared in muffled whisperings. The teacher cleared her throat, tapping her pen on the table to grab the attention of the suddenly alert students.

"Yes. You heard me right. Each of you need to volunteer at a job for a month, and send a report each week. By the end of the month, you'll have to compile a three page essay about your experience." Ms Ahra picked up her notes, and for a moment looked around, a deep solemn washing around. "I know you guys barely have time before you graduate, but I wish you all get to see this as an opportunity to make the best out of these few months before parting ways."

The ending of the sentence did leave the class in moments of silence, almost convincing Yeseul that everyone around felt the same silent thump of fluttering pain in their chest, and she had. But once the teacher left, everyone fell back in the routine of scattering around and out of the room. She sighed.

Parting ways. Forever? Was it what she meant?

Yeseul's eyes suddenly lit up with a new life to them. She opened her backpack, digging in to look for a particular something. Once her fingers touched the familiar crisp end of the poster, she pulled it out. Her lips slowly spread out in a smile. The poster was flooding with a burst of colourful flowers over it. In the middle sat the cursive advertisement of job at a local florist shop. She knew exactly what she wanted to make these months special.

Lunch came round after deep anticipation. Yeseul ran out of the class, the paper in her hand fluttering along. She turned at the corner, unexpectedly running into Jeongin.

"Are you blind?" He winced, but he scoffed when his eyes found hers. "Of course it's you."

Yeseul grabbed him by the arms. "Where's Hyunjin?"

"In the classroom?"

Without a delay Yeseul pulled him behind, winning a list of complaints in return. But she was too gleeful to pay heed to anything.

Once they reached the room, Yeseul sighed, tucking back her hair. She walked in, Jeongin behind forming a beeline. Hyunjin was leaning down, busy scribbling in his journal. He barely noticed them approaching until they were just in front of him. His eyes first moved to Yeseul's hands. At the recognition, something unfolded in his chest. His eyes blinked up to the two faces, an unintended smile slipping out.

"What's with this intimidating stance?" He closed his journal.

"Let's work together."

Yeseul held the paper in front of Hyunjin, who took some time to skim through it all. He pulled it down with finger, peeking at her with a raised eyebrow. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah. Yeah, are you sure?" Jeongin suddenly stood beside Hyunjin, his arms folded. "Do you know the extreme pollen allergy of mine?"

"No?" Yeseul's smile suddenly turned into a sheepish grin. "Wow. Sorry. Really didn't check up on your medical conditions before becoming your friend." This reply only gave her a playful punch in the arm.

"I can't come anyway." Jeongin sighed. "You two go ahead. I'll work at the hospital."

Hyunjin looked up at his friend. "Are you sure? We can work with you at the hospital if you want."

Jeongin shook his head. "Did you see how excited Yeseul was about this? I'm sure you both will enjoy the time there. So make it worth it."

Yeseul sat back in a chair. "It's alright. You two can work together. It's completely okay. I can do it alone too."

Hyunjin gave her a smile that spoke too many words. She felt relieved somehow.

"I have someone to look after at the hospital, so I'm not going there just for the sake of it. I know this is something that I desperately need to hold onto, because it means a lot for me." Jeongin glanced at them both, receiving an acknowledging nod from Hyunjin.

Yeseul could feel something about this was too personal, that the two hadn't yet talked about.

"I'm glad to hear that we both are making sure we do something that makes us happy." Yeseul softly smiled down at the hand drawn picture of the poster. She suddenly became aware of Hyunjin's eyes on her. She felt a tug at her heart.

"What about you?"

"Huh?" Hyunjin blinked.

"Are you choosing the flower shop just because I suggested it?" Her sentence was too cautious. It made Hyunjin suppress back a smile.

"I'm not telling you that yet."

Jeongin sighed dramatically. "There he goes again. I'm leaving. I need to grab lunch."

"Get me something to drink." Yeseul called at his retreating figure. He just waved back tiredly.

Hyunjin slowly folded the poster before slipping it in his journal. "When are we starting?"

Yeseul couldn't hold back her excitement from falling out so plainly through her. "Monday."

"Alright."

"Thank you so much." Yeseul's eyes glistened from the joy of having someone, him, to spend the ending of summer with.

Hyunjin wished he could hold her hands in his, but he stayed contained, hiding a smile by looking out at the pretty sky. "You better make my experience memorable."

"Oh, I will." Hyunjin caught her gaze, beaming at the sudden realisation of how much their bond had developed in this time.