35. Disasters Don't Come Knocking

[ updated on 5th December, 2022 ]
💌

The old woman didn't answer. Her lips drooped down, and she looked away, eyes glistening up. Yeseul walked ahead, holding her hand. "I think he's such a handsome fellow. What about you, Grandma?" Yeseul pushed a smile, trying to meet the guilt filled eyes.

"I don't know him."

"Can I take a look? Please?" Grandma was adamant on keeping the drawer blocked. But something in her shifted. She slowly took a step away, nodding.

Yeseul fished out the photograph, and pulled Grandma by her hand towards the bed. "You say you don't know him, but," Yeseul looked up at the way sadness wilted the eyes of the woman, "but... I think you both have the same eyes. The same smile."

Yeseul almost caught a lighting up life in the dull hidden gaze.

"Do you want to tell me about him? He must have grown older. And he must be thinking of you all the time now. I'm sure of that."

The air stood still and cold. Yeseul waited and waited. She prayed hard for something to wake up midst the years of unattended feelings. She didn't lose hope, not when Grandma balled her hands in her lap, humming an old tone to whoever she had in heart.

"What song is that?"

Grandma barely smiled. "We sung it every night. All three of us."

"Three?"

"Me, Soji and..." She fidgeted with her rings. Yeseul sat down, facing her. She pushed away the greying hair behind Grandma's ear. "Go on."

"And him."

"What is his name?" Yeseul made sure she sounded as casual as possible. She swallowed the knot in her throat. Grandma pushed her face in her hands, bursting in tears. Yeseul encouragingly caressed her shoulder. "Yes? Grandma, what was his name?"

"Hyunjin." She breathlessly said the name. "Hyunjin. My Hyunjin, my Soji. We," she smiled through all the pain, "we three were such a team. Despite all the bad that happened, I accepted them by all my heart. But things took a bad turn. I curse time for it. I curse his parents. I told my son not to marry her. It wouldn't have happened if he listened." She was visually exhausted. Yeseul felt the blue flood her insides. She stayed still, not letting go of her hands.

"But you love your grandchildren."

"I do."

"What happened?"

Tears streamed down the ashen cheeks. "He hurt Soji."

"Who?"

"Hyunjin. He hurt her really bad. Just like his mother, he turned out to be bitter. He envied Soji. He knew I was against the marriage of his parents. Soji was the child of the woman I had chosen for my son. I never gave the two of them any unequal affection, but he seemed jealous. He needed up doing something terrible."

Yeseul couldn't make sense out of the confession. What had happened? There was so much of the story that lacked. But she didn't wish to push too hard. She was scared it might shut off Grandma forever. Instead she stayed close, trying to be the support that the old woman had longed for all these years.

"Yeseul, you know how a single tear can send a necklace of pearls scattered in crevices not to be found? That's what happened to us."

"Do you think you can ever forgive him?" Yeseul felt herself on the edge as she awaited the answer. Grandma dabbed her wet cheeks by her sleeves.

"I don't know. I wish I could. I wish we three could go back to the old days."

________________

@samsllama typing...

hey

hi sam :)

wanna meet up?

wtf-

what?
are you going to stay hidden behind a screen forever?

yes
no
shit
I'm suddenly nervous idk why

I'm not a 40 year old creep. I promise

*in chris hansen's voice* please take a seat

I am going to ignore that allegation

why the sudden desire?

want to recreate the spine breaking hug every online friend manages to execute

☠️
okay. I'll give it a thought. when and where?

remember how I told you I do some music? I managed to get into a local concert they are holding in sapphire hall. this saturday close to 7pm.

SAPPHIRE HALL? DUDE I TRIED GETTING A TICKET FOR THERE AND FAILED MISERABLY

and suddenly sul wins the vip seat

okay okayyy. we have a celebrity in making then. I seee

pray I don't mess up, It will be so embarrassing

are you going to bring your crush?

wdymmycrushdontsaystufflikethat

stfu you literally ramble about her through 65% of our conversations

I didn't tell her. I'm scared I'll mess up,and she's the last person I would want to slip and die in front of

I- I don't even know what to say

see you there then sul :)

you better live up to my expectations

I'm WAY too sleep deprived to deal with your negativity right now

________________

a/n: they are finally meeting

a/n: they are finally meeting. on a rate of 1 to 10, how chaotic would it be when they realise who they have been talking to?