Chapter 18

"What are you thinking about?" Dom asked when he pulled up in front of my building.

"Hmm?"

"Oh yeah, there's a lot going on up there." he chuckled.

"What are you talking about?"

"When you're seriously thinking about something you get this crinkle in between your eyebrows. It's really cute but it tells me that something is on your mind." he said.

"You wanna come up?"

"Way to flip the subject."

"No, that's not ... do you want to come upstairs?" I asked, shaking my head.

"Sure."

He switched directions and pulled up to a parking spot, I grabbed my bag and we headed upstairs in silence. I unlocked the door and threw my bag on the floor under the little table I have by the door and flopped onto the sofa.

"Are you okay?" Dom asked.

"Yeah."

"You gonna tell me what's on your mind?"

"I was thinking about how we didn't really pay each other much attention growing up." I said, turning around and sitting up so that he could sit next to me.

"That's not fully accurate, I would say you didn't pay me any attention." he said, surprising me.

"No, that's not true."

"Yes it is." He said, sitting down and facing me.

"Dom ..."

"You've always had that little crinkle between your eyebrows when you're really focusing on something. Then there was this thing with your glasses, they were always crooked because you always leaned on your hand when you were reading so you would straighten them and ... there was a thing. I remember walking into the garage once and you were standing next to dad, whenever you disagreed with something he said you'd put your hand on your waist and shift from foot to foot and bite your lip not to argue with him. When you were reading in the living room with Mia, you used to get so close that your glasses would slide down your nose and you would take them off and yeah, the glasses thing." He said, leaving me in shock.

"I never ..."

"I know, that's why I never made a move, you weren't interested in me. You barely paid me a passing glance and Vince was a lot more touchy about you back then too."

"So what changed now other than me losing 40 pounds and getting a better haircut and a new color?" I asked.

"I don't care about that. I just figured I lost the opportunity back then so I had to shoot my shot this time. If you weren't interested then that was my notice. What changed for you?" He asked.

"I don't know, I just started to pay attention and see you I guess. See the parts of you that I didn't notice before." I admitted.

"That's really good, I'm glad you're paying attention now."

"So am I. Wanna watch a movie?"

"Yeah, we can watch a horror movie." He smiled.

I don't quite know how it happened but at some point during the movie, I ended up pressed against Dom's side, with my head on his shoulder and his arm around me. Don't ask me how. Didn't even realize it until the movie was over and I had to move.

"You want me to wait for you?" He asked.

"Nah, I'll drive myself to your house." I told him.

"How about I come to get you instead? Let me know when you're ready."