Chapter Six

"That's not good," Jason said, pointing to the glowing fire.

"Guess we found that deranged thing," Greyson spat.

Both boys started running in the darkness. The light source wasn't just the golden light burning town, but a single flashlight.

"What are we even going to do when we get there?" Jason asked.

Greyson narrowed his eyes as they approached the edge of the burning town. "We have to find a way to slow her down," he remarked.

Jason looked around at the blazing plaza that he could see. It's not that they had a fire hose to spray down all of his hometown that was burning.

"Head to the outside," Greyson said.

"It looks like most of those are dead that were in the plaza," Jason gasped.

They went around houses that hadn't caught fire, searching for anything. From someone's driveway, you could see bodies all over the street. It looked like a scene from a horror movie where everyone was killed in the first ten minutes.

"Buildings too," Greyson implied as the two of them investigated. "I'm guessing she's killing everyone here first, then heading to the campground."

"Cindy and Emma were still in town," Jason gasped.

"They'd leave without a second thought," Greyson said.

Jason covered his arm over his mouth. All the fire made his eyes water from the pressure. It was just like when he attempted to save that freak who had his body blazing. Simcoe's plaza didn't even look like a town anymore. It was like walking into hell, with fire burning, bodies lying dead, and everything destroyed.

"Ashley's probably still in Simcoe," Jason remarked, before feeling his own body go flying. "I thought we said—"

It wasn't Greyson that threw him with his mind. Ashley stood a couple meters from them but couldn't exactly make out who it had been.

"Die!" she yelled, but Greyson sent her flying backward with an invisible punch.

Jason wobbled, staggering his way back over to someone's driveway. Looking around, he tried to find something that the two of them could use.

"Jason and Greyson," she growled. "The two high ranks, but that doesn't seem true anymore."

It was because there was a third high rank that existed in this place. The threat to the psycho in front of them is the mutant child.

"Have you come to see my beautiful work? Or better yet, tell me where that mutant child of yours is!" Ashley yelled, pointing at Greyson.

"I don't see it," Jason remarked, his palms outstretched.

Jason wondered if that child would take control of Greyson again. Just how it has been done out of panic or anger. It was something that Jason didn't understand, but he knew that the baby did not want Greyson to get hurt.

"Might be in that house," Greyson said, pointing a finger at the house nearby.

Ashley widened her eyes, speeding inside the house with yellow siding. Half of the roof was destroyed, but the rest seemed perfect.

"Burn it!" Greyson yelled.

Jason fired at the house, while Greyson used his mind to grab the car in the driveway and smash it into the roof. Ashley came running out with a red face, throwing them both back with an invisible force. Jason groaned, standing with his head pounding.

"This will be easy work," Ashley sneered. She fired at the two of them as they dodged to the side, missing because of her vision.

Ashley went charging at Greyson over him. "Tell me where it is!" she exclaimed, her muscles expanding like James' power, but she got flung back.