Chapter Twenty-Eight

Everyone watched the glowing fireworks in the sky. They were glowing blue and purple, with fire raging from the burning light that shone through. Scarlett felt tears streaming down her cheeks. She used her hand to brush them away, looking around. People were staring both in shock and awe of everything they had just witnessed.

"Run!" Mark called, as they all went running for the highway. The raging fire spread through the plaza, even if there wasn't much to burn.

Scarlett felt a hand on her own, turning back to see Greyson. She stopped and hugged him tight. The two of them actually survived this madness through the long eleven months.

They both ran again, but most stopped seeing the real outside world crowded with people. Most ran to parents that were crying with their children in their arms, holding posters, but their parents wouldn't care.

"Let's go to McDonald's! We can get hotcakes, fries, and ice cream!" Mia cheered.

There were police officers and ambulances everywhere. Scarlett knew everyone in that hell they witnessed are part of some type of crime, especially theft.

"We need you all to head to ambulances!" someone called in a megaphone.

Greyson guided her toward one, but he was stopped. Scarlett furrowed her eyebrows as he shook his head.

"Greyson and Jason are coming with us," the blonde police officer said. "They must be contained in their own room."

Both of them didn't resist, but Scarlett could tell Greyson wanted to use his powers. She wondered if they still had their powers. When she touched her wrist, she widened her eyes. As the female paramedic guided her to an ambulance, she felt her rank. How is that still possible? Ashley's dead, but their powers are still here.

As they helped her into the ambulance, the other paramedics tended to her wounds. Two other people were loaded inside, who were Emma and Mallory. Scarlett could tell she felt shocked. Some police officers shut the door as they drove off.

"Girls, you will be transported to Toronto Sick Kids hospital. You may not be with all your peers due to your malnutrition and injuries," the male paramedic stated.

"Why do we still have them?" Emma whispered. "We shouldn't because we all saw them die."

"Is something internal?" the female paramedic asked, but Scarlett shook her head. She was baffled like Emma, because it didn't make sense.

"Girls, we've heard about these supernatural powers some of you have developed. However, once your severe injuries and malnutrition heal, you will be put on a court trial," the female paramedic named Patty explained.

"Court? Why? We didn't do anything bad!" Mallory panicked, staring at Patty.

"It's not just you, girls. Most of your peers who are still alive are dangerous. The police will have to do investigations, so you will be asked questions," Patty stated.

"Mia Ortiz would be joining that trial as well, due to her own delinquent behaviour. Some may be charged more than others, depending on the crimes they committed," another paramedic named Dante said.

"River Dunlop said he had his own court hearing," Scarlett remarked. This seemed to startle them that they mentioned River.

"Wait, River Dunlop was involved in this incident?" Patty asked.

"Hasn't the scandal been all over the news? His mother got arrested and is waiting trial," Scarlett stated.

They stared blankly at them, still trying to tend their wounds. However, when Emma put her hand on her cheek to heal a gash, they stared in horror. That gash had been smaller and was no longer bleeding.