Chapter Twenty-Four

Scarlett sat with her head against the window before being shaken. She stirred from her sleep, seeing Cassandra staring at her in a daze. It made her blink multiple times before she got full awareness of what was happening.

"I'm awful, mom!" Cassandra exclaimed. "I let two people die! I didn't have the energy to save them because I was trying to drain Ashley's power. I'm supposed to have these powers to help you, but I couldn't help them."

Scarlett wondered if Cassandra would blame herself for the problem. Who on earth did she get that from? Could that be from herself when she blamed herself for what happened with Emma? It had been her fault because she didn't bluntly say Greyson wasn't into her. Even the endless manipulation of those around her to get something she or Greyson wanted.

"Why do I feel sad? I didn't feel this way when I heard about the other deaths..." Cassandra murmured with tears in her eyes, setting her face on Scarlett's shoulder. "Is it because it's my fault they died? Emma and James cried, while Divina went chasing after Ashley. Is this all my fault?"

"You can't always save everyone, even if you have the powers to stop Ashley," Scarlett said, lifting her head.

Cassandra didn't look up, playing with a dirty pillow in her hand. It's not exactly that you can wash anything, even though the storm has ended.

"But why? I've never seen people die," Cassandra asked, tears sliding down her cheeks.

Scarlett felt her own eyes water, wiping her eyes of tears. She had watched people around her die easily. Not just from the bloody hands of Ashley, but from murder or even the storm.

It's not that she caught many when they died from the storm, except when they weren't all that way. She had been close to actually being murdered. It wasn't from Luke, but David had actually left her fearing her life. All she had chosen was to grab the boy he had a crush on, pulling him to be a witness to Collin's disappearance.

That was the moment she started to fear for her life. Maybe it wasn't her own but Greyson's, since he had reflected the bullet into David's chest. She didn't know, but she did know that it had left her fearful.

"Well, when people die, they no longer exist. No talking to them or playing games with them," Scarlett said.

Cassandra lowered her eyes to stare at the white sheet, causing her to look up again. "I don't want to die... I don't know if father told you, but I die when we defeat Ashley."

Scarlett felt her heart miss a beat, which surprised her for a moment. Cassandra dies when they defeat Ashley. That wasn't how she imagined having a child would go.

"It's because of all my power. All of that will happen soon, but it depends on Divina's attitude," Cassandra stated.

Why did Divina's attitude matter? It could be because she's a crazy person who would kill someone in a heartbeat.

"I'll try to seal away the last power. I want to make sure you're all free," Cassandra said.

"I thought you couldn't do anything while you weren't in close contact," Scarlett said.

Cassandra shrugged, playing with her fingers. She wanted to help her child, but she knew she couldn't fix the overall truth. The final battle is something she can't help. It's not that she can show up to defeat Ashley. She'd be support with maybe fireworks or something to help in the end.

"I don't want to die, mom," Cassandra gulped, her eyes watery. "I'll make you sad, but I want you to be safe. I'm sorry if I'm disappointing you."

Scarlett shook her head and hugged her, feeling tears slide down her cheeks. "You could never disappoint me," she said. "You'll be saving us, right?"