Chapter Nine

Emma rested her head on a blanket, eyes closed. This wasn't her intention of healing when she got back to Sunny's, but she couldn't control when people got injured.

"Try not to vomit your insides," Esme teased.

"Maybe you should stop for a bit," Angel chided.

Emma shook her head, even if she didn't feel like she had anything left in her stomach. She lifted her head and stared at Esme's scarred face. Most of it had been healed, but some parts weren't. Her skin was still left over and covered with wounds that made Emma's stomach turn.

"I feel fine, Emma," Esme said as she bounced on her toes.

"You can't fight because you need more time to heal," Emma explained.

"Ashley won't be able to catch me," Esme stated.

"There was a sighting!" Xander said, opening the tarp.

"Are Greyson and Jason around?" Emma asked as she attempted to crawl, but that wasn't working. All her energy felt drained as she lay on the ground, not moving.

"They're back," Xander announced.

"Let's go find them!" Esme called, grabbing her hand as she screamed, feeling light-headed.

Stopping suddenly, Emma almost went soaring across the ground. Sometimes she really didn't miss being dragged around.

"Someone fast," Esme breathed.

Was it possible that Ashley had been speeding around in some type of mockery? No, she wouldn't do that, especially with the mutant child being born.

"Let me heal the rest of your face," Emma moaned, but Esme shook her head, taking off.

Emma forgot how much she didn't miss being dragged around. They stopped again as Emma lay flat on the grass.

"Who?" Esme inquired, pointing to a ten-year-old girl, her sharp eyes studying them thoroughly. "How can you run fast?"

"Because I can," she implied.

Emma noticed how beautiful the girl was, even when she was young. Her dark hair was done in a braid, and she was dressed in a pink jumpsuit, but she recognized those blue eyes from someone she knew.

"Zane wants to talk to you," Scarlett remarked as she approached her.

"Okay, mom," Cassandra said.

"Can we race?" Esme exclaimed, but she didn't see this as a situation of horror.

"You should get your face fixed," Cassandra irked.

"It's fine because superheroes don't need all their wounds healed," Esme implied, sticking up a thumb.

Emma stared at Cassandra as if all the information had come together like magic. This baby should be a newborn, but she appears to be ten. The light has returned, but terror still lingers. Not just with Cassandra but with Ashley's wrath and followers, along with Divina.

"Fine," Cassandra agreed, walking away with Scarlett.

Emma knew the child had a plan because if she had been like Greyson, there'd be a plan. Scarlett might know because she's been the one closest to the child. Even if you ask the young girl herself, she might be able to deliver that grand speech to everyone.

Emma was dizzy and tired from vomiting, but she knew Cassandra exuded the same confidence that Scarlett and Greyson did. Scarlett may have changed, but she still has that confidence.

"This will be a race where someone will be up to my speed," Esme said, punching a fist into her palm.

Emma was concerned that if Esme didn't allow the rest of herself to heal, she could die.