Chapter Twenty-Nine

Things weren't any better at Toronto General Hospital. River stood with a pillowcase over his head with two cut areas for the eyes. Out of anyone, he had the most ambushing of questions. Why did you confess? Are you lying about what your mother did? Did you like being a model? Will you go back to modelling when this is cleared up?

It was all tiring, which is why he attempted to get some iced coffee. Even if Cecile had told him that it was bad to drink, he didn't care anymore.

"Look," Nevaeh said as she handed him his phone. He saw the video of Mia running through the hospital halls being chased by security. "They probably have more charges on them than any of us."

He could feel people staring around at him as Nevaeh held some cash. Maybe he called attention to himself by covering his face, but it's the only way. Any other way, even a mask would show his hair or his face.

"Mia sent me a Snapchat saying that Eden has five security guards watching her like hawks. She's escaped her room when they aren't allowing her to," Nevaeh laughed.

They stood in line at a Tim Hortons in the hospital, since most of them are still allowed to roam free. Most of what he knew seemed to be at Sick Kids, but there had been a few he knew here.

"Did they say when we have court?" River asked, but Nevaeh shrugged.

Nobody knew, but it had to be soon. The news reports were everywhere, with people being interviewed who weren't highly injured. They especially wanted to interview him because of everything. River didn't want to talk, but he had to accept that his mother goes to jail or not.

It wasn't even that, but if he goes to jail. Would it be true that he does? It's not that he has done much harm, especially considering that he arrived later.

While Nevaeh ordered the food, River put his hands in his pockets. It felt weird because he wouldn't do this at all.

"Am I getting stared at?" he asked, because he wasn't a fan of attention. Despite whether he had been a model, he felt that all eyes were on him.

"You and me," she said. He felt a bag in his hand as he gripped it.

His opposite hand had a clear cup that was cold. It definitely had to be his iced coffee, but he didn't expect it to be cold in his hand.

"Let's eat where less attention will be," Nevaeh stated.

River wasn't exactly sure where that could be. If he took off this pillow case, bystanders would be recording videos. He didn't want more attention than he already had now and even the past.

They looked around the busy cafeteria, which wouldn't exactly help. People were gathered around them, but they were clean like them. He didn't feel clean, even after taking an hour-long shower. None of those involved in the chaos felt clean because he's seen fights or death.

"You stick out a lot," Mallory stated. "I mean, most of them are eyeing us already. My parents actually came."

"Mine haven't," Nevaeh said. "How about you reveal yourself, Highlighter, because you want to be a normal teenager? I want to be in some pictures too."

River sighed, slowly removing the pillow case with one hand. When he did that, phones were pulled out or people were dashing toward him.

"Oh my gosh, you're River Dunlop!" Girls freaked as he looked at Nevaeh.

"Oh my gosh, that's so cool. What's also cool is that you cheated on your boyfriend," Nevaeh stated. Her excitement drained away as she stared at Nevaeh in fear.

People surrounding them went silent and stared with wide eyes. The freaks still had their powers, which made them much more of a threat.

"And now you're panicking because your boyfriend got injured in a car accident. Karma can be a bitch sometimes," Nevaeh chimed.