Chapter Eighteen

"What's she doing?" Esme asked, bouncing on her toes as James stared at Bella. He was able to stand, but he felt dizzy when he shook his head.

"I don't know," James said.

Cassandra used an invisible force to throw Bella to the ground while James watched her struggle to jump on the wagon. It was surprising that Bella wanted to talk to Cassandra, considering she didn't exactly know the girl well.

"Who are you?" she demanded as all eyes were on Bella.

"You really are quite fearful," Bella groaned, slowly pushing herself up to her feet. "I guess I should have expected that from a mutant child."

"Address yourself, or I'll take that body away," Cassandra warned as Bella sat on her knees.

James could tell that it wasn't her because her eyes weren't the same anymore. Someone or something had taken control of Bella's body, which could indicate she's brain dead.

"I selected a body, didn't I?"

"Divina," Cassandra said, her eyes directed at the girl who stood. "Why'd you pick her? She isn't a freak."

"I knew how much wrath you'd use if I made that choice," Divina said with a sly smirk.

Cassandra flicked her finger, landing Divina face-first on the hard ground. People took a step back because they were watching the standoff between two powerful foes. Divina attempted to climb onto the wagon, but Cassandra didn't move or help her.

"Fine!" Divina got fed up, turning to the crowd of people. "Yes, I chose Bella's body as the host. It's great on our part because there are a few more steps." She looked giddy in an evil way.

It appeared strange on Bella's face, especially given that it wasn't her in her own body. There were mixed reactions in the crowd. Most were shocked, while some seemed to already know the outcome before it even started.

"Unfortunately, we can't kill god until less than two months," Divina explained. "We must attack immediately because it is doing something."

This strange feeling wasn't from Divina at all. What more could she even add with Ashley's followers gone? Cassandra can always find a way to undo all the harm Ashley caused.

"It's rattled," Cassandra said flatly.

"Which means we'll send ambushes," Divina remarked, smirking.

"Um, no. Are you trying to have everyone die at once?" Cassandra started. "That's not happening because Ashley is probably coming to burn this place down. If you expect to walk back here like last time, you're mistaken."

Divina still seemed amused but almost alarmed by Cassandra's wrath. "Then what do you have in mind, mutant child?"

"We need a distraction that isn't power. We have to get some of this food delivered before Ashley burns it down." Cassandra rolled her eyes at her own words. "There needs to be some distraction."

Everyone around didn't know where to start. James could think of a lot of things, but Cassandra started pointing at people with their hands up.

"Do you want something like TNT?" Cassandra stared blankly, almost like she had never heard that word in her life.

"Explosions?" she asked, as the boy nodded.

Explosions would be a good distraction, but finding them would be difficult. James glanced at Esme, who looked like she would rush off at any moment.

James wasn't sure how this endgame would go. Divina doesn't have powers, but that wouldn't stop her from trying to kill Ashley.

Cassandra pointed at River, who had his hand up slightly. "Do fireworks work?"