Chapter 19: Time's Forgiveness

After Hermione had not been able to catch Harry though she had come quite close several times just by knowing him and his habits, she had finally given up and resorted to storming off and vowing revenge on him later while he had likely watched her in amusement. Kaia had found their antics amusing, and very much like siblings who were quite close but still had a healthy dosage of fighting or 'play' fighting as she seemed to call it. She wondered if Harry had now also inadvertently given her and Tanek a human daughter as well.

The thought was appealing somewhat to her; considering the discussions Harry had told her about concerning the girl, and the prospect was exciting to her since she would never truly have children of her own. While they were nearly grown, Kaia knew Harry and Tom would eventually settle down after the war...provided they survived it, and Harry was more than ready mentally for a family after not having one of his own for so long.

Hermione, well...she would have to wait and see what was in store for her because Kaia didn't know her as well and found she needed more time to observe her when around others. Especially considering what Harry wanted to do...

--

Harry had barely managed to make it inside of the fortress fine from Hermione's wrath and he had effectively avoided his irate sister until he knew he was safe from her lecturing and cold-shouldering. He then made his way to the study where Tom was waiting for him.

When he entered the room, he saw the pain he had caused him by staying away so long and without saying anything to them all. Tom's physical form was tired, more so than normally, and he seemed more mellow compared to before. His emotions were more open to him; which in one way was good, but in others that was dangerous.

Aurora's words had sunk into him and gotten him thinking and realizing, but how far did this go and if possible; how long would it be able to last if not for forever?

Tom turned to him and embraced him softly, "You probably know exactly how this feels right now as we both endured the separation. I missed you more than I know how to express to you and I feel like I failed you when you were hurt so badly." He said sadly, "Sometimes I wonder if by how much I have hurt you in the last year or so if I truly deserve you here by me?"

Harry relished the feel of his openness and then forced Tom look at his eyes and he laid a hand to his face, "There was nothing you could have done about the capture, Tom. You weren't there to aid me and you weren't supposed to be either. We weren't expecting it to be a trap by them all though we should have and it showed us how overly confident we were then. Many were hurt in this besides me, and some are dead where I yet live."

"I think there are those who consider my survival a blessing for our side, but also a type of lasting curse because I still live when those others do not care if I live or die. It is natural to feel that way, and time will eventually heal the wound, but it will be many months if not years for them to heal from this fully." Harry told him gently

Tom let go and turned from him now, "I missed you so badly, Harry." He whispered, "I remember feeling Aurora's presence flying over to the manor and then having my Inner Circle training their wands to her in the sky amid the storm where you were with her and bound there to you with her innate magic to keep you from falling off her in your unconscious state."

"She spoke to me to stop me from making them fire at her because she had you. When she came down, I ran to her to take you from her and inside with Hermione, but she roared at us and hissed at us both in anger. She told me how ill you were and I saw you passed out on her; tethered to her by her innate magic like I said and you were as pale as death lying there."

"I felt my energy sap out of me when you looked like that and I was feeling broken for not knowing what to do to help you as she flew away while remembering her parting words to us all." He whispered, "Then, as I somewhat expected for your safety; no word comes of you from your caretakers...and with each day that passed by I was beginning to die more inside. Not knowing if you were alive or dead; it was slowly eating me alive."