chapter forty five

chapter forty five: 1980

The year was 1980, although it hadn't been the new decade for very long. James Potter had woken up with the worst headache known to every being on this earth. He groaned loudly as he pushed his hand to the other side of the bed only to feel nothing causing him to lift his head up and look around.

The boy had gotten into the house at exactly three in the morning, not that he could remember too much apart from that. It was the start of a new year and he celebrated as such but he was now confused as to where his wife was and she appeared to not be celebrating the new year next to him in bed.

Just as the thought floated into his head, it was immediately shot down as he heard the unpleasant sound of Matilda Potter throwing up in their bathroom. He smiled and had a little giggle before deciding to get over his hangover and go cook his hungover wife some good old bacon and eggs. Except he didn't have any of the ingredients.

Immediately being met with freezing cold air blasting his face, James wrapped the scarf that Matilda had knitted him tighter around his neck and shoved his nose into the warming fibers. His feet hit the slightly icy cobblestone and he slipped slightly, quickly regaining his footing and letting out a small sigh of relief as he didn't smash his back on the stones.

James eventually got into the shop and whistled to himself as he looked around the shelves for what he wanted. Eggs. He grabbed a dozen knowing that they will most likely be eaten quickly. Bacon. Hmmm better get a few rashers because he knows that Matilda loves something greasy when she is hungover. Soap. He wanted to be a good husband and run his wife a nice bubble bath that would make her feel like the best version of herself. And pregnancy test. James furrowed his eyebrows as he looked at the little boxes in front of him that had been above the soap that he had grabbed. James felt last night coming back to him.

He and Matilda arrived at the Morberg residence for a few quiet drinks with everyone and it quickly got out of control. What started as a glass of wine and a quick cheers became a bottle and then became shots. James had been singing with Sirius and Remus, 3 out of 4 of the marauders. Peter had said that he was feeling ill and preferred to stay home and rest.

But they had been singing loudly and badly when James caught sight of Matilda holding a little baby Morberg. She was rocking the lil bub gently and singing to her in the corner of the room where it was just her and the babe. Louisa, Gabi, and Evan were laughing loudly on the couch at the three men singing the best tunes from the 70s and all was well.

"Guys it's almost midnight! Quick, we've gotta say what is the best thing that happened in the 70s." Louisa yelled causing all the boys to sit down and contemplate very deeply (very drunkenly was probably the better word to use). Matilda had put Wanda down and rejoined the group, sitting next to James on the carpeted floor.

"I'm going to say it. Tie-dye!" Everyone laughed at Remus' comment, knowing they all were probably thankful that that trend would be left in the past.

"The music, obviously! Who knows what kind of trash is going to come out in the next decade? The 70s sounds way better than the 80s." Sirius snorted and shook his head as the drunkenness had hit its peak. The chanting in the streets had begun and the group jumped up, one of them turning on the radio. They all yelled the countdown and cheered loudly for another new year.

Matilda laughed as James turned and planted a kiss on her lips, sending her a cheeky wink like they were teenagers. The night winded down and soon it was 3 in the morning and everyone was being shoved out of the house as it was a miracle that the little one hadn't woken up crying and they wanted to keep it that way.

James and Matilda stumbled home and they jumped into bed without a second thought. "Y'know I was going to say that the best thing that had happened to me in the 70s was you. I love you and I can't imagine what my life would be for the past ten years if I hadn't met you." James mumbled, already half asleep against his pillow but he still had the strength to try and pull her into his arms.

"You're a sap, James Potter. Go to bed." The night that had felt like such a blur before, had suddenly felt so crystal clear to him as he really thought about it. One. Matilda had had a total of one drink last night. James rushed to pay and tried to run home, his breath hot and steamy in the cold. "Fucker!" James slipped onto the cobblestone as he came to a stop outside their home and he was quick to get back up.

He entered the house quickly, not focusing on the fact that his eggs had most definitely smashed in the fall and that he probably forgot a thing or two at the shops. All he was focused on was his beautiful, amazing wife sitting on the bathroom floor. Except she wasn't anymore. He quickly looked around and opened the bedroom door just to see her curled up on the end of the bed with Ozmo.

James took a few steps forward and just stood panting as she looked at him slightly concerned. He fell onto the bed next to her and looked at her, waiting for any sign or indication of what he believed was true. She said nothing as he looked at her stomach, the lightbulb finally clicking in her head. She shook her head and smiled before throwing her hands in the air.

"How did you figure it out? I was going to surprise you-" James launched himself onto her, peppering her face with kisses before moving down and doing the same to her stomach.

"James! Stop! Stop it!" Matilda giggled loudly and blushed but she really didn't mind. She knew he would be happier than ever. He had wanted their family to grow for a few months now and Matilda truly didn't think it would happen so soon but they were young and reckless and it made sense.

"There will be three of us!" Ozmo barked at James causing the couple to laugh.

"Okay sorry, four of us!"

Long time no see chicos
Thanks, Queenie.