chapter four

chapter four: pie witch bakes again

James Potter had hoped to see the pie witch again, a nickname lovingly given by Sirius and one that had stuck in James' mind. For the past three nights, she was nowhere to be seen and he was starting to lose hope that she would come back to the kitchens. But Matilda Allens had returned to the kitchens on the fourth day, a Friday night where most people would be out doing reckless things. And usually, James and his friends would be those people but Peter had made himself sick after experimenting with different potions and the Marauders were in for the night.

Matilda had her walkman on, quietly humming 'Dancing in the Moonlight', one of her favorite muggle songs as the muggles did always have better music. She poured chocolate chips into her plain cookie dough batter, smiling as she ate a tiny bit before pouring it out onto the floured surface.

"Baking again tonight, Allens?" Matilda moved her headphones off her head, smiling back at James as he walked forward to see what she was doing.

"Snooping for food again tonight, Potter?" James laughed slightly, standing beside her as she kneaded the ball of cookie dough.

"Touché. What's on the menu tonight?" Matilda smiled, a slight feeling of calmness in her stomach before it tightened up with nerves. She liked making new friends, she almost felt nervous around James but she shoved the feeling back.

"Chocolate Chip Cookies." James pulled up a chair, watching as she grabbed pieces of dough, rolling it into a ball before placing it onto the tray. Matilda looked at him and shook her head as she grabbed another tray, placing it in front of him before splitting the dough and giving him a large chunk.

"Don't think that you can get out of doing the work, Potter."James looked down at the piece of dough, poking it slightly with his finger before beginning to copy what she was doing.

"And here I thought that I was going to be reaping the benefits and doing no work." Matilda smiled widely at his comment, James keeping his eyes on her as he rolled the dough into badly shaped balls.

"Who taught you to bake?" James asked causing Matilda to look up and see that he was genuinely interested, looking at her with intrigue before she looked back down.

"My Grandmother. She told me that a young woman, with or without magic should know how to bake as it can get you out of some bad situations." Matilda's eyes went to James' out of curiosity to see if he was still remotely interested in what she was saying and the boy watched her intently, hanging off every word she was saying, nodding with every word he agreed with.

"She's a muggle, isn't she? I've never heard of a wizard saying use baking instead of magic." Matilda nodded, thankful that he said it with slight excitement and a joking attitude instead of the usual disgust that comes from people learning of her muggle upbringing.