CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN

. . .

Chai stood on the glassy marbled floors with a tall glass of wine perched between her fingers. She had a very large smile plastered amongst her face, flashing her stunning two rows of white teeth that weren't hard to notice. She looked intensely beautiful as she stood elegantly in a navy blue dress designed by the Vera Wang herself. Her hair adorned her petite shoulders in large loose curls that flowed with every movement she made. She also delighted everyone who walked by her with the timeless scent of a classic Chanel perfume. Her beauty and grace commanded the attention of almost everyone in the room as they greeted her as Derek Frost's new fiancé.

"That ring is breathtaking!"

It was hard not to notice the sparkling gem that sat on Chai's ring finger. It was an emerald cut diamond ring that reflected light as bright as the sun. The stone was large and quite heavy but it sure did make a lot of women envious of her wealth and seemingly strong relationship.

"I know right," Chai exclaimed as she held her hand out for Derek's work associate to get a distanced look at the ring.

"You are a lucky woman, Chai. I've been wanting to get married for about two years but Danny doesn't think it's the right time," she vented as she took a sip of her wine with her bare, unwed fingers.

Chai didn't know how to respond other than, "I'm sorry to hear that. One day he'll ask you."

The associate smiled politely as she began to tell Chai about all of her relationship problems that conveyed otherwise. Her words fell on deaf ears as Chai dissociated from the conversation all together. She just kept a convincing smile that wouldn't have anyone questioning whether she was truly happy or not. In the back of her mind, she was comparing every complaint to her situation. If only she knew what Chai went through behind closed doors. She'd never complain about a delayed proposal again.

"Then I asked him if he even wanted to still be with me and he said—"

The conversation was halted by a third party who's arm found its way around Chai's ever decreasing waist. Stress, pain, and heartbreak ate away at any body fat she tried to maintain. She was almost as thin as a runway model and kept having to re-do her wardrobe to suit her declining size. Derek didn't care about the conversation they were having and made it known as he cut his associate off mid-sentence,

"How are you doing tonight Tay?"

"I've been good. I was just telling Chai about Danny and how he doesn't seem to know what he wants," she sighed heavily.

"Aw c'mon Tay, why ruin a good night?" Derek playfully asked. Tay shrugged her shoulders as she took yet another sip of wine. She was almost done with her glass and figured she could use another one.

"I just wanted to take my wife off your hands for a dance," Derek said as his grip around her waist got slightly tighter. Chai didn't release her smile as she excused herself from Tay. Her stomach twisted into knots as Derek led her to the middle of the dance floor where everyone could see the engaged couple mingle. Both of Derek's hands propped against Chai's waist as her hands wrapped around his neck, stretching her body ever so slightly to adjust to his height.

They slow danced to the mellow sounds of R&B and spun around in circles. Derek gazed at his fiancé and couldn't believe she was all his once again. Chai, on the other hand, couldn't believe she was in this mess once again. And this time, it seemed permanent as they both prepared to be married within the next month. Chai had to do majority of the wedding planning while Derek threw enough money at her to fulfill "their" ceremonial desires.