CHAPTER SIX

Chai stared at her phone screen as she listened to the intense messages left to her by Derek. Her heart pounded against her chest as she thought of all the things he was going to do to her when she got back. Maybe I shouldn't go back, Chai thought to herself. What was the point? She would only be returning to a life of pain and abuse. He'll come find me and he'll probably hurt Brynn...Brynn doesn't deserve that, Chai worried herself. She didn't know what Derek was capable of. He had money, connections and a black heart. All of that combined was a recipe for evil and the last thing she wanted was for her loved ones to suffer.

"I have to go back," Chai whispered to herself as she opened up her carry on bag. Her two days weren't up yet so she figured she could pull off her message as a prank to Derek. A chill ran down her spine as she threw some belongings in her bag without a care in the world of what belonged where. She wanted to fix things before they were too late.

"Chai you want to stop and get some breakfast? I know you don't want that nasty ass hospital food," Brynn opened the door on her sister who was packing her bags frantically.

Brynn went over to her and stopped her from packing, "Chai what the fuck are you doing? Why are you leaving?"

"I have to go Brynn." Chai said as she swiped Brynn's hand from on top her bag so she could put one more article of clothing in.

"Go for what? You didn't even say goodbye to mom! Are you serious right now? You one wicked ass bitch!" Brynn grew furious at her sister. She knew Derek had something to do with this episode and she was disappointed that her sister would allow herself to be controlled like that.

Brynn's words brought tears to Chai's eyes. She didn't understand what was going on in Chai's mind. She was doing this to protect Brynn from Derek's vengeful behaviors. She wanted nothing more than to spend as much time with her family as possible but she couldn't do it at the expense of anyone's safety.

"Brynn please understand that I have to go! I have to go right now!" Chai cried hysterically. Brynn was shocked at the young woman in front of her. This was not the Chai that took off a few years ago. This was a completely different person and something was seriously wrong.

Before Brynn could reply the room fell silent to the sound of an outlier noise. They both listened in as the muffled voice came from Chai's phone. Brynn slowly picked up the phone and put her ear to the speakers to hear the person better. When she couldn't make out any words, she put the message on speaker.

"Chai I fucking told you only two days. You think you can do whatever the fuck you want? HUH BITCH? I'll fucking KILL YOUR ASS!" Derek emphasized as a loud sound of shattering glass blasted against the speaker. Brynn flinched back and hung up from the voice mail box. She was at lost for words as she quickly connected the dots. She stared at her tear-soaked sister with new found empathy.

"Chicago what is going on? Don't tell me "nothing" or so god help me I will call the police for his ass right now!"

"No, no!" Chai pleaded as she snatched her phone from Brynn's hands. There was nothing to charge Derek for and if he were to find out she got in touch with authorities he would kill her. Brynn stared at her sister with fury in her eyes. She couldn't believe that her conscious was right about him. He was an animal and she couldn't believe her own sister was going through domestic abuse.

"He's just a little angry with me because we had to go somewhere in two days...but I spoke to him and everything is okay." Chai lied.

"That doesn't explain why he's calling you out ya' name and threatening you. You really think that's okay, Chicago?"

"I think you should just let me handle this on my own. I know Derek more than you and this is nothing out of the ordinary. This is just how our relationship is." Chai said sternly.