CHAPTER TEN

The funeral was scheduled for the following week. Brynn spent countless hours making sure all the arrangements were in place. She ordered her mother's favorite flowers, light pink and white peonies. She also ordered an all white casket with a glossy finish and a rose gold interior with matching holders. The venue was at a local church since Brynn's budget didn't allow a grand location. After purchasing the casket and bouquets, she used the left over money to print out attractive service schedules, her mother's eulogy, and a shrine dedicated to her beauty and personal interests.

Chai was dreading this day. She didn't know how she was going to handle the funeral and more so the burial. To make matters worst, Derek was tagging along, so there was about to be a lot of tension between him and her sister. She wanted this day to be over as soon as possible so she could move on.

Chai and Derek were taking an Uber to the church. The couple sat in the back, dressed for the occasion. They were clothed in all black, Chai wearing a long sleeved, semi-fitted dress that went past her knees paired with black suede Jimmy Choo pumps.  She accessorized her attire with tinted black shades to cover her eyes whenever she was about to cry and a simple black clutch equipped with tissues, lip gloss and powdered foundation to touch up on any bruises that might've been noticeable through her foundation. Derek matched her all black color scheme with his all black suite and freshly polished dress shoes.

"You okay?" Derek asked her as he noticed how tense she was. They haven't even reached the church yet and she already looked like she was filled to burst. Derek tried to soothe her by gently placing his hand on her knee, rubbing it with his thumb. Chai flinched slightly before nodding, assuring him that she was alright. Derek didn't believe her, but left her alone since it was a difficult time for her.

They reached the church within fifteen minutes. Outside the building were a bunch of people who knew her mother. There was a large congregation ready to mourn the loss of a dear friend and family member. Derek and Chai stepped out of the Uber and adjusted themselves before approaching the crowd. Chai scanned the large sum of people to spot her sister. She didn't know half the people in attendance and figured Brynn only knew because she was involved in her mother's social life. Only people Chai could identify were a couple of her mother's friends who often came to the house and a few family members.

"You see ya' sister?" Derek asked her. He wanted to get this day over with just as much as Chai did. He knew her family had nothing good to say about him and he didn't need anyone starting with him.

"She's probably inside." Chai said as she walked up the church steps, saying hello to everyone who glanced at her. Derek wasn't as friendly and just followed behind his girlfriend who seemed to know where she was going.

Chai spotted her sister who was handing out the schedules to people who were coming in to view the casket. Brynn greeted everyone with smiles despite how hurt she was. The only person who didn't receive a smile was Chai and her partner. Brynn wasn't afraid to hide her repugnance for the couple as she handed them their schedules. Chai took a deep breath before turning to Derek, "mind if we talk for a second?"

Derek did mind because he knew her sister was about to go off but he kept the peace and just planted a soft kiss on her cheek before walking inside the sanctuary to find a seat. Once Derek was out of ear shock, Chai began to address the leading question.

"He wanted to come."

"Yeah because he's an ass. He knows damn well she didn't like him and he's probably the last person who should be here. You have a lot of nerve, girl."

"He wanted to support me," Chai made up. She really didn't know why he felt the need to come but she couldn't tell Brynn that if he didn't come, she wasn't coming.