CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Brynn and Chai made their way back to their home to get ready for the dinner with Asaad's family. Brynn was extremely nervous about the entire situation but she was happy she had her sisters' support. Chai, on the other hand, was worried. Her mind was filled with thoughts of Derek. Could she really pull this off? Was she really about to leave him like this? All at the hands of a stranger?

She couldn't grasp what made her stay. She didn't know Saint and wasn't obligated to listen to him but she felt this was one of her last chances to get the help she desperately needed. She just hoped it wasn't at the expense of anyone's safety.

"Chai you heard me?" Brynn asked.

Chai looked at her sister with no recollection of a conversation. She shook her head, "no sorry. What happened?"

"I asked if I should change my hair...this looks ghetto, right?"

Chai eyed her sisters current hairdo and her expression fell flat as she missed the flaw Brynn was worried about. Her hair was done in a top-knot bun. It was a little messy with a few strands pulled from the band, but it looked intentional and cute.

"Brynn, please stop worrying. Doesn't matter how you look. If they like you, they like you. If they don't, they don't."

"I just want to look presentable."

"And you do, so stop worrying about it." Chai said sternly.

Brynn eyed her sister and noticed a switch in tones from the first walk they had. Brynn questioned her attitude, "what's wrong with you?"

Chai shrugged, "nothing why?"

"You just put me off like that...and where were you at the block party? I'm there speaking and then I turn around and you vanished."

"I got hit in the head and passed out. Saint was just helping me since it happened right in front of his house."

"Girl, are you okay?" Brynn stopped their track and grabbed Chai's face, inspecting her face for any bruises. Chai immediately got defensive and shoved Brynn's hands away from her face so she couldn't catch a glimpse of any bruises that were visible through the makeup.

"The hell is your problem?" Brynn smacked her teeth as she mugged her sister. She was completely turned off by Chai's behavior.

"I'm fine, just don't touch me okay? Please."

"Did he rape you Chicago? I saw how angry you were getting when he came over to us. What happened when I wasn't there? I swear to god I will go back there and beat his ass." Brynn demanded an explanation.

Chai rolled her eyes, "no he didn't. He was actually very helpful. Look, I don't want to talk right now. Let's just get ready for this dinner."

Chai walked ahead and kept a distance from her sister as they walked closer and closer to their house. Brynn decided to leave the situation alone and focus on her own problems. She was so tired of Chai pushing her away and wasn't about to fight with her anymore. 

Once Brynn walked up the stairs, she opened the door and went to her room to freshen herself up. Chai was ready and just sat outside on the steps, waiting for her sister to get it together. Once Brynn was ready, she grabbed all of her essentials and the two girls headed out for an unpredictable night.

    Back at the barbecue, things were settling down. The sun was setting and kids were starting to head inside. The DJ'sturned the music down and just let their playlists of some of the greatest hits play while they conversed with their own people.

Things with Saint also settled down. He got all the names he needed and was going to start contacting everyone in a couple days. He felt accomplished. Not only did he achieve his goal of ten volunteers, but he also took the right steps in helping someone in a deep situation. He just hoped she was willing to let him help her. He noticed she was a very stubborn person but he felt he could help her since he was a very persistent person.