CHAPTER SEVEN

Chicago and Brynn entered the urgent care unit with false attitudes. The tension between them was at an all time high but they wanted to conceal it the best way they could so their mother wouldn't be concerned. Brynn agreed that she didn't need to know that Chai was going through it with Derek. It would stress her out even more and that was the last thing she needed.

"Let's keep this positive, alright?" Brynn said before opening the door to the room. She headed in first then Chai followed behind her, trying to think of a way to say goodbye without making things seem suspicious. Both of them stopped in their tracks when they noticed the difference in their mother. Usually she was sitting up, alert of everything around her and ready for anyone that wanted to converse but today she was stuck to her bed.

Brynn cautioned next to her, "ma you okay? Why you not sitting up?"

Her mother responded with a weak moan as Brynn rubbed on her back. Chai fiddled with her fingers as she made her way in front of her. She felt like something was wrong but she figured she just wasn't fully awake yet. Chai looked at Brynn who couldn't do anything but glare at her. Chai felt horrible. She finally reunited with her family and she was messing up the unity once again. She figured it was for the best but now she wasn't sure, "ma I gotta tell you something."

Her mother nodded to indicate that she was listening despite her lack of eye contact. She couldn't even open her eyes at this point. She felt so exhausted and weak that she could barely turn over to get comfortable. The nurses examined her this morning and figured that she was just going through a common fatigue episode but she knew what was really happening.

"I have to go home today. I have to go somewhere with Derek tomorrow. It's an award show and he's being honored. We planned on going together, I'm sorry," Chai's voice cracked as she felt the tears piercing through the rims of her eyes. She really didn't want to do this and there wasn't an excuse in the world that she could possibly make up to justify her leaving so soon. Her mother didn't say anything. She just nodded.

There was no room in her heart to feel a way about it. There was no time to have negative emotions in her heart anymore. It was enough that her little girl came to see her at all. She counted her blessings and wished the best for her youngest and oldest. Tears fell down Chai's cheeks as she took her mother's silence for disappointment. She felt like a terrible person. She knew what she was doing seemed wrong but they didn't understand how necessary it was.

"Ma, it's alright we don't need her here. You got me."

Chai smacked her teeth, "don't do that Brynn."

"Do what?" Brynn quickly snapped as she stared at her sister with resentment in her eyes, "it's not my fault you choose a man over your fucking family. You've shown on more than one occasion that he comes before us and it's a damn shame!"

"Brynn we talked about this," Chai felt embarrassed that she was going off on her in front their mom. She was the main one talking about keeping composure yet she was the only one making the situation more intense than it needed to be.

"I'm sorry but I'm just hurt that you're really doing this!" Brynn spoke from her heart. She was highly confused at how she could put a man over family. Her sister depended on him so much that she couldn't break away and stand up to him.

"You thought I was bluffing? I have to go home!"

"This is your home, Chicago! We are the ones that love you, we are the ones that will take care of you at the end of the day! He could dress you down in all the name brands, have you living lavish until his bank account goes dry but at the end of the fucking day WE are your family! Not him! How dare you do this!"