CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

Chai nervously walked up the stairs to the apartment, thinking of the best excuse she could make to Brynn without leaving room for too many questions. She was supposed to help her pick colors for the wedding but she could not leave Saint alone for the night. Their one moment of lust turned into a few more rounds of fun. She was exhausted and wanted to spend the rest of the night beside him.

Should I just tell the truth? She asked herself as she found her keys that were stuffed in the back pocket of her jeans. Her time to think was cut short as she jiggled the key inside the lock, opening the door to Brynn who was seated on the couch.

Brynn took a deep sigh of relief once she saw her sister. She was less concerned about the wedding colors and more concerned with her safety. She was worried that something happened to her since she kept calling her and didn't get an answer. Brynn stood up and went over to her sister.

"Girl what the fuck is wrong with you?"

"Brynn why you got to curse at me?"

"Chicago, I've been calling and texting you all night. I see why ma' always got on our ass whenever one of us came home late. I couldn't sleep last night—ask Assad, I was restless! I can't force you to come home but please just let me know that you're ok."

Chai felt bad that she was about to lie to her sister about her whereabouts. She figured it was better to tell the truth since they were both grown and trying to repair a damaged relationship. Chai wanted to do her part in making sure she was honest at all times.

"I got caught up with my friend." Chai said.

"All night?"

"We were doing some things." Chai tried to ease her way into the truth. It was difficult admitting to her sister that she wasn't the most innocent twenty-one year old out there.

Brynn's eyes bulged from their sockets, "excuse me? You little slut, who the hell—what's wrong with you?"

Chai tried to keep her laugh in, "what?"

"You been back in town for like a month and you already popping that pussy, huh? Who's the man, hmm?"

"Well that's where it's none of your business."

"You ain't even have to tell me you was fucking, that wasn't my business but since you already let the cat out the bag might as well tell me who got the goodies. Do I know him?"

Chai looked at her and shrugged. Brynn thought of all the people associated to her sister besides Derek and could only pick out a young man by the name of Saint. Brynn let out a loud gasp once she realized that's exactly who she slept with.

"No! Chicago no!" Brynn was amused and shocked at the same time.

"You're mad extra."

"What did I tell you girl? Just because he captain save-a-hoe doesn't mean you need to be falling for him."

"Who said I was falling for him?"

Brynn pursed her lips together, "oh so you just give it up to someone you don't have any feelings for? Now I know ma' taught us better than that."

"Well obviously I like him but nothing is official. It was something that just happened. It was something I needed."

"I'm sure it was. Look, it's none of my business who you fuck or fuck with but please be careful, ok? You just got out of a situation, you need time to heal and get yourself together. You don't even have a job right now. Don't go getting caught up in the next man just because he helped you out. You may think you like him when really you just appreciate what he did for you—don't get it mixed up."