Authors Note

I began to write this story back in 2018 and after four years, it is finally complete. This story was a huge challenge for me considering it was a subject that I can't relate to (thankfully) but still wanted to discuss. Domestic abuse relationships are so very common and the dynamics are extremely misunderstood.

Back in high school, I had the privilege of participating in volunteer work at a single mothers shelter. This shelter housed a lot of women who were victims and survivors of domestic violence and abusive relationships. This shelter was the only place these women could call home and the only place where these women felt safe with their children. It was then I realized how serious and real these situations are.

Emotional attachment, manipulation and fear play a big role in a victim's decision to stay in their dysfunctional relationships. It's not as simple as just "leaving." Even when the victims manage to leave, they are left to deal with the emotional trauma that follows. This trauma can manifest itself in mannerisms that can be self-destructive. A lot of victims, particularly (but not exclusive to) women, also resort to violence as a way to defend themselves—only to end up in prison for the rest of their life. It happens all the time.

My goal with Chicago was to capture the full extent of what an abusive relationship can do to a person and how it can effect them even when they aren't with their abuser. I wanted my readers to feel frustrated and emotional to all of the events in the story because it is a very complex phenomenon that isn't widely understood.

If you've read this far and reached the ending of Chicago, thank you so much for your patience and patronage! I know updates were slow, but I tried my best to make every single chapter worth the wait. It means a lot that you enjoyed reading Chicago and getting to know the characters I worked so hard to portray in a realistic manner. There is more to come from me so please follow and stay tuned for more upcoming stories.

If you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, please reach out to this 24/7 hotline:

Call: 800-799-7233
Text: START to 88788
*Online chat is available and their website is
www.the hotline.org

If you like urban luxe fiction, join me on another journey for my next project: Out of Bounds

Thank you.