Part 28

The next morning, they ate breakfast together and Ziva helped Tali pack her school bag. "Do you have everything?"

"Yes Ima!"

"Are you sure? Remember, a few days ago you said the same thing but forgot your lunch box."

Tali thought about it once again and said: "Yes, I am sure."

"Okay good. Tony?!": she screamed his name through the apartment. Tony didn't answer.

She shouted again: "Tony?!"

He didn't hear her either this time. Ziva was going to lose her patience: "Anthony Dinozzo Junior?! COME HERE!"

The bedroom door opened, and Tony rushed out trying to apologize: "Hey, sorry. I did hear you, but I was on the phone, so I couldn't answer."

Ziva looked at him with a confused look in her face. He never calls anybody that early. "Who were you talking to?"

Tony's answer didn't come straight away and sounded more like a question than an answer: "Uh, Mcgoo."

Ziva knew he was lying. She came closer and looked him right in his eyes with a threatening look and said: "Then tell me why Mcgee calls you in the middle of the night?"

Tony cursed himself for making such a dumb mistake. He forgot about time difference in his excuse. He said: "Uhm, well... He-".

Ziva interrupted him by cupping his cheeks aggressively and saying: "I know you're lying. You should consider answering me right away next time, or you will sleep on the sofa."

She released her grip on his cheeks. Tony was scared but mostly confused and dared to correct her: "You know that this is my apartment? You don't have the right to tell me to sleep on the sofa."

He regretted this sentence as he saw her giving him the death stare, he never thought she would be giving him some day.

"We'll talk about this later." She turned back to Tali and said: "Come on Tali, we go now."

She picked up her bag and went out of the apartment and Tony rushed after them shouting: "Wait!! Ziva, please no. Don't do this to me."

He ran down the stairs and could stop Ziva before turning on the engine.

She came to him and said: "Next time, just listen to me. But for now, you have to live with the consequences."

She gave him a kiss on the lips, got in the car and drove away without Tony in it. Tony stood there and thought to himself: 'Damn it, do I really have to take the bus. Ugh, I hate busses.' He started walking in the direction of the next bus station.

As he entered the bullpen, he was still typing his apology text to Ziva: 'Hey, I'm sorry I lied. I was on the phone with Bishop, and she told me everything the NSA told her. I know it shouldn't be more important than talking to the love of my life, but it was in that moment because she also told me what the NSA will be asking you and now, I'm worried. I hope you aren't angry at me. I <3 u'

He looked at his message again deciding if it's good enough or not, but he clicked on send before he even decided that.

"Hey, Tony!": Bishop greeted him from Ziva's desk where she was already working. The rest of the team was already there too.

"Hey Bishop." He threw his bag in the corner and sat down. Ellie asked him: "Everything okay? Sounded like you are in trouble."

"I hope I'm not. She made me take the bus."

"Oh, that sounds like you are, Tony."

He wished he could disagree, but he couldn't. He looked at his team which was watching him. He got up and barked: "Update!"

The silence following showed him his coworkers didn't understand. He said: "Update means tell me all you have found out!"

His coworkers jumped up and started talking: "Marine Sargent Kelvin. He was married, two children, lived in a small village on the north coast. I called his wife. She is already on her way."

"Background?"

"There are no entries in his criminal record. Seems like he was a good guy."

"Family?"

"Besides his wife and his children, he has a sister who moved out before even turning 16, seems like she was the trouble child. I've checked his cell phone and found out that he still was in contact with her. She lives here in Paris now. Should we call her in?"

Tony nodded and said: "Yes! So, we don't have any hints yet??"

All other agents shook their heads. Ellie said: "I don't have new info about this case, but I contacted NSA and had an interesting call with Mcgee yesterday."

She came closer to Tony and said with a serious tone in her voice: "We should talk." He looked at her concerned and followed her to the elevator with his coworkers watching them go.

He pressed the button, and the lights went out. "So, tell me what's wrong!"

Ellie looked at him and swallowed hard before saying: "Well, I've talked with the NSA agents. Ziva did what they wanted from her and told everything she knows. But..."

Ellie didn't continue her sentence and just stared at Tony trying to sort her words. Tony couldn't wait any longer: "What??"

"One of her contacts is on our most wanted wall. She helped him and worked with him for a long time. NSA don't know yet if she was in trouble, if she did anything illegal. They are trying to figure that out."

Tony looked at her, partly relieved partly confused. He said: "Okay. And what are the bad news?"

Ellie looked confused. "Tony, I said she worked with one of the guys of the most wanted list! She had contact with one of the most wanted criminals of NCIS. This doesn't concern you?"

Tony took a second to think but then answered: "No, it doesn't. Ziva had to deal with many dangerous people. I think she knows what she's doing. So, please. Don't waste my time, Ellie."

He pressed the button, and the lights went on again. Ellie was very confused of his reaction, she thought he would be more worried or at least care about it a little bit.

The doors opened and Tony left the elevator. Ellie hesitated for a second but then pushed the button and the elevator closed again.

She knocked on the door and opened it. "Director."

He looked up from the case file he was holding in his hands and said: "Agent Bishop! What brings you to me?"

Ellie closed the door and placed herself in front of his desk: "Sir, I have to ask you a favor."

He put the case file down and asked: "What can I do for you?"

"I need background information about a mission."

He looked at her for a while, then stood up and walked around his desk. He grabbed the folder and gave it to her. He said before handing it out to her: "Do your research, be specific. I want to know everything you find out. And when you're done, you can fly home."

She took the file and said before leaving: "Thanks Sir, I won't disappoint you."