Problem Child

Lydia was, unfortunately, a very pretty woman.

She had elbow-length dyed brown hair, and naturally long eyelashes that she enhanced with mascara. Her hair was naturally ginger, so she did have freckles and also green eyes, which, much like Virgil, she kept natural.

She was wearing a dress shirt, white with black patterns on it. It was cinched at the waist by a belt that Janus noted was at least two-thousand dollars. She also wore some fashionable boots, and a lot of rings and other gold accessories like necklaces and bracelets.

Virgil recoiled when she entered the room. She placed her white handbag beside the door, and smiled fakely. "Patton! Hello my baby!"

Patton, being a kid, immediately beamed and ran to her, being engulfed in a hug. The woman took her phone out while they were still embraced. "Patty, look at the camera for me!" She laughed, prompting the other to turn to the phone that she was holding up. Lydia took an image of the two, and then her smile slightly dropped, letting Patton stand on the floor as she typed on her phone, probably posting the image to social media.

She then put her phone in her handbag, looking up to the other two she'd neglected so far. "Janus! It's good to see you."

The two shared a hug after Lydia walked over, and she then turned to Virgil.

They looked at each other for a moment, before Lydia turned and walked back to her son, ignoring her step-son in the process.

"How are things down here? I hope this little one's not causing you too much trouble." She cooed, patting her son's head.

Janus laughed, walking closer to Lydia. "No, don't worry at all, he's not the problem child."

They both took a look at Virgil.

"I'm not surprised," His step-mother started, her voice pitching upwards as she spoke. "He gets all those unsatisfactory traits from Deidre, you know how she was."

Virgil suddenly felt the need to hurt Lydia. It was an unnecessary comment, that was for sure. Deidre Glythe, his mother, was a really lovely woman - or, so he's heard from everyone who knew her. Everyone other than Lydia.

She adored slandering Virgil's mother. Probably jealousy-fuelled. While Deidre and Henry were married, Lydia worked for Deidre, mainly as an assistant. When she died, she saw an opportunity in her ex-boss' grieving husband. 

When Virgil bit his tongue, and didn't retort to what she had said, Lydia raised her eyebrows, and continued what she was saying.

"Anyway, it isn't like she died for no reason. We got this little angel out of her." She said, directing her hand towards her step-son. "Yet, she would still be alive if it weren't for you."

Janus visibly frowned. He did really like Deidre, if he was being honest. She was kind, she cared about Henry. "Okay, that's enough."

"I was just telling the truth. It's his fault."

Virgil gritted his teeth. "You're a fucking bitch."

He turned and walked into his bedroom, loudly slamming the door. Janus emitted an exaggerated sigh.

He placed his hands on his knees, bending down to look at Patton. "Patton, can you go play with Virgil? He needs cheering up." He smiled.

"Virgil's sad?"

"He won't be for long if you go play with him. Go on," Janus ushered the other towards Virgil's door.

Janus stiffened after the child entered the other room.