epilogue

10 years later...

Bucky walked around the house that had been the place where he fell in love for the first and only time in his over one hundred years of living.

It seemed so long ago that he and Ivy had stayed here together. So much has happened, both good and bad.

He heard a car pull into the freshly paved driveway and started making his way back to the front of the house.

Bucky already knew who it was. As he rounded the corner he saw Sam jump out of an older chevy pick-up truck with a bag full of tools.

"Y'know I have equipment here right? You don't need to bring your own?" Bucky said.

"Well hello to you, too." Sam replied. "And I'm not sharing tools, it'll get done faster if we have our own."

"I don't even know why I called you." Bucky rolled his eyes. "We both know the only reason we were able to fix that boat is because of me."

"Woah, woah, woah!" Sam put up his hands in mock-offence. "I'll admit, your strength was helpful occasionally. But I was the brains of that operation."

Bucky snorted. "Yeah right. Sarah was the brains of the operation, don't ya think?"

Sam glared back at him. "Why am I here? If you're just gonna mock me I'll go home."

"Oh, stop being a baby. C'mon, I'll show you."

After the blip, Bucky decided it was time to finally settle down and live the peaceful life. Well, as peaceful as a one hundred year old super soldier with severe PTSD can be. Fortunately, he knew just the place.

When he bought it, the safe house was charming but it definitely needed some updates and now he was constantly tinkering with it. He still gardened quite often but he had also taken to renovating the house whenever he was bored. This, however, was his biggest project yet.

The two Avengers walked to the back of the house where Bucky had laid out his own tools and supplies as well as some markers to outline what they were doing.

"So I'm thinking this is where the expansion will go. What do you think?" Bucky looked over at his friend. The new room would cut into the backyard right beside the large patio, which Bucky had built last summer.

"I think it's as good a place as any." Sam agreed, "Remind me why you're expanding the house now?"

"You know why! I've told you, it's so–"

Just then he heard footsteps. The men turned to the back patio where the noise was coming from.

The tiny footsteps drew closer until a little girl's cheerful voice rang through their ears, "Daddy!"

"There's my babydoll!" Bucky smiled adoringly at his beautiful two-year old daughter running toward him. He met her halfway and quickly scooped her up. "How was the visit to the cousins, Lucy May?"

"Fun!" Lucy clapped her hands and began to play with his dog tags. Although she was spoiled with many real toys, her father's tags always seemed to be her favourite.

"Can you say hi to Uncle Sam?" Bucky kissed her cheek and pointed to the man in front of them.

"Uncle Sammy!" Lucy's green eyes lit up as she looked at her beloved uncle.

"Hello Lucy-Lou, how are you?" Sam smiled as he tapped her on the nose.

Lucy giggled happily.

"Where is your mother and brother, babydoll?" Bucky asked as Lucy made grabby-hands for Sam.