the witches

Over the course of thousands of years, the Eternals find something mildly surprising.  It shouldn't have been, given that Arishem had told Ajak about it somewhat, but the discovery still elicits surprise from all of them.  

  The first human they discover with magic is in ancient greece in a city called Delphi.  It had been Morgana who found her, following the strangled cries and desperate pleas to the Gods.  She had found Pythia in a cave at the top of a mountain, surrounded by strange green smoke that came up from cracks in the earth beneath her.  She had spoken to Morgana in what seemed to be tongues and riddles at first, only for her to realize she had been telling Morgana the future.  

  After that, they came more rapidly.  Females and males alike were discovered with magic, but the vast majority of them were girls.  Some were no older than six, and some were nearing the end of their life.  But all of them were found, and- by Arishem's orders- all of them were taught to harness their magic by Morgana.  

  For a time, it goes smoothly.  The girls are taught, and when Morgana deems them ready, they either go out to live on their own and make lives for themselves, or Morgana is forced to say goodbye to them when the Eternals move to another area of the planet.  But these girls, no matter where they are, are respected.  They are feared by men, but the respect those men have for them outweighs it.  They are made into queens, into priestesses in temples of Gods, into mothers.  All of them tell the tale of Morgana, the "first witch" as they call her, who taught them to control their powers.  In a short amount of time, humans with magic are taught to seek out Morgana for help.  

  Everything goes wrong in Camelot during the 6th century.  Human historians will say in years to come that the first persecution of witches in Europe was during the 16th century.  But they're wrong.  The memory of the persecution is imbedded deep into Morgana's brain, and thousands of years later, she still finds herself waking up in cold sweats and fuzzy memories of it all. 

  The Domo is stationed in the mountains outside Camelot.  The Eternals travel to and from the kingdom, as well as surrounding cities, by horse- except for Makkari, who runs.  The nearest city to them is surrounded by forest and a wall, and the actual name of it has been lost to time.  

  Morgana is in the forest outside the city, working with some of the girls who had been shown to have magic.  In this current day, these people- the ones with magic- are no longer respected.  The fear remains, but humans respond to it differently.  They spit at them on the street, they accuse them of things they haven't done, they follow them home and threaten them and their families.  So Morgana has taken to teaching them in secret, and gives them strict rules to not show their magic unless circumstances are dire.  

  A small creek is beside them, and the girls watch in slight awe as Morgana manipulates the water, using her powers to shift the flow of the creek into the air above it.  Her hands move gently as she guides the water, making it move around their heads and their bodies as the girls laugh.  The youngest of them is 12, the oldest 17.  None of them adults yet, and just barely coming into the start of their lives.  

  Morgana gently guides the water back into the creek bed and looks to the oldest girl, Claire.  She tucks her legs underneath her as she nods to her, gesturing to the creek.  

  "Try."  Morgana urges gently, taking note of the unsure look Claire's eyes.  "The worst you could do is fail, darling.  And if you fail, that will give you space to learn.  You won't be judged or persecuted by any one of us." 

  When Claire finally nods, Morgana allows a small smile to cross her face.  She watches, gently shushing the other girls as Claire turns to the creek.  Claire has shown to be gifted with water- she had first come to Morgana after accidentally freezing the water in a cup.  The other girls seem to be specialized in other things.  The youngest- Sabrina- came to her after speaking to her families dog.  Alice has a penchant for nature- the earth specifically- and Morgana has taught her to grow flowers in the palm of her hand to start with.  Margaret can tap into another's mind the smallest bit, though it makes her head split if she uses it too much.  Emma has small inklings of the future- nothing huge, but small visions that flash before her eyes.  None of the girls are all that powerful, but Morgana hopes she can bring them into their gifts the more she teaches them.