Chapter 138

It was past midnight when Jennie finally got back home.

For fear of waking Lisa up, she tip-toed gently as she pushed the door.

She removed her shoes and was about to step into the living room, when she saw a dim light coming from a lamp. Lisa was resting on the couch.

He had taken off his spectacles and left them on a pile of documents. He seemed to be asleep...

She hadn't expected Lisa to be in the living room. Unconsciously, she held her breath for a moment and exhaled softly.

Why wasn't he asleep?

If he was working... why wasn't he in the study?

Lisa didn't appear to be sleeping deeply. When she was a few steps away from him, his eyelashes fluttered.

The man looked a little sleepy as his gaze traveled up to Jennie's face. He picked up his spectacles and slowly became alert again.

"You're back."

Jennie nodded in response. "I had to discuss some matters with Grandfather today, so I came home late. Did I disturb you?"

Ever since she had claimed that Lisa came first in her heart, he hadn't corrected the way she spoke to him.

Lisa massaged his temples as he rose. "Are you hungry? I left some food for you."

Jennie's heart plummeted and she swallowed her saliva. "Thank you, Mr. Manoban. But there's no need. I already ate dinner. Besides, as an actress, I have to maintain my figure. I can't eat too much."

Lisa didn't insist. Instead, he said, "Okay, go rest early then."

Jennie nodded ferociously. "Okay! You too, Mr. Manoban!"

She then added casually, "Mr. Manoban, were you working just now?"

"Yeah. Why?" asked Lisa.

She scratched her head. "Nothing. I just found it weird. Do you prefer to work in the living room? Why aren't you in the study?"

Wasn't working in the study much more comfortable than bending over on a couch?

She remembered that this wasn't the first time she had seen Lisa working in the living room. Furthermore, he had stayed up late today. She was curious, which was why she had asked.

Lisa raised his eyebrows when he heard the girl. "Miss Kim... do you seriously not know?"

"Huh?" Jennie blinked, looking puzzled. "I... Is there something I should know?"
How could she know? How could she ever understand what was going on in Lisa's head?

Lisa studied the bewildered girl and sighed helplessly. He raised his head and gazed into the girl's eyes. Slowly, he said, "Miss Kim, I was waiting for you..."

I was waiting for you...

She blinked several times in silence. She was unable to comprehend what he had said.

What he meant was that... he had chosen to work in the living room... because he had been waiting for her?

The man interjected and interrupted her thoughts. "I don't work in the living room out of habit. I did that so that I could see you more often."

Why would Lisa be so direct?

If she still didn't grasp his meaning, then she would be a moron!

Lisa realized that the girl had finally understood and he smiled in satisfaction.

"Do you understand what I just said, Miss Kim?" Lisa asked gently.

Jennie's cheeks had already turned crimson. How she wished she could dig a hole to bury herself! She naturally nodded ferociously.