Chapter Eight

Louis was currently sitting in his car seat bouncing eagerly, Liam had promised Louis ice cream and Louis was so excited because the last time he got ice cream was before he was welcomed to Liam. So getting it was a huge big deal for Louis.

Liam promised ice cream to Louis because he had been ill all week, he still was sick, he had a running nose, a cough and he couldn’t stop sneezing and Liam felt horrible, but one thing he had noticed about Louis when he got sick was how clingy he became. He spent a lot of his time curled against Liam and Niall and most of the time when Liam went to put him down he would instantly start crying and it made Liam’s heart swell.

Tonight the boys had a concert and Liam knew he was going to be struggling to keep Louis out of his arms because getting him into his car seat this afternoon was a big enough challenge as it was. He felt sorry for the poor kid, but he also felt sorry for himself, he could feel his chest and nose stuffing up already.

Treating a toddler with a serious chest infection isn’t easy, as Liam had recently discovered, Niall would have to hold Louis down whilst Liam quickly pour the sticky syrup down his throat and it was horrible, he hated having to do it, but for the sake of Louis and the rest of the band, it needed to be done.

Liam finally pulled up at the small ice cream parlour and helped Louis out, making sure his jacket was securely zipped up before he heaved him up into his arms and wandered quickly into the warm place. Liam loved watching Louis’ face light up when he saw something he liked, and now was one of those moments.

They settled on bubblegum, a multi coloured ice cream that Liam was absolutely certain was going to stain anything Louis touched. But the look on his son’s face as he eagerly tried to spoon it into his mouth is why Liam enjoys being a father, despite the ugly side of parenthood.

Whilst Louis ate his ice cream Liam texted and arranged multiple things he had to knock back or postpone due to Louis’ sickness, and it is never easy cancelling or pulling out of an interview that had been promoted on every television around the world for a good week. And he hated disappointing their fans but he knew they would have to understand.

After tweeting an apology he cleaned Louis’ face and hands before he could touch anything, then he bundled him back up snugly in his warm clothes and placed him nicely back in the car. He then drove back to their hotel, since Louis got sick Liam had been keeping him in hotels instead of on the bus, to prevent anybody else from catching it, and glen twenty was his new best friend.

Once he arrived back, Louis had fallen asleep cutely in his car seat and he had to snap a picture of the perfect moment, so he could send it to his family and Niall to tease them with. He made sure he was extremely gentle and quiet when he lifted him from the car and slowly trundled them back up to their hotel room, somehow managing to avoid the swamp of fans that were lingering around.

Sadly Louis only got a forty five minute nap before he was awoken to Liam putting him back in the car to head to the venue for the concert, he had Louis’ blue mickey mouse ear muffs in one hand and his phone in the other, so he was struggling to do the small contraction up to secure Louis in.

The big issue started once they arrived at the stadium, Louis immediately became clingy again, hanging off Liam and crying throughout the whole meet and greet they had prior to the show, which caught everybody’s attention because Louis was sitting on the floor crying ‘Daddy’ sadly into his Superman teddy bear for a good half an hour before Niall whisked him off to wipe his nose.