pick ups and rest ups

Luke's POV

"Hey kids! What are you two doing out here?"

First, it was Nick. Now, it's my mother. How lovely. Note the sarcasm.

"Hey Mom!" My voice didn't sound as hopeful than I thought it would be, instead it sounded strained. I came to Julie's side, wrapping my arm around her shoulder as she wrapped her arms around her torso, fidgeting in place. "What are you doing here?"

Her eyes diverted between me and Julie, a slow smile gracing her face. "The school sent some forms that you forgot to bring so I just gave them in person."

"Heh yeah, my bad." I dryly chuckled.

"Well, it's not the first time Luke has been irresponsible. Isn't that right, honey?" She chuckled while gritted 'honey' out as if it was poison while patting my chest. But it felt more like a slap than a pat.

Fine. Two can play that game, honey.

"Well I'm so sorry to break it to you, baby cakes. But not everyone is a clean freak like you."

She invincibly flinched at the nickname, her faux smile turning into a burning scowl.

She grabbed onto my hand that rested on her shoulder, crushing my knuckles into dust. "Oh, come on! You do say it's one of the things you love about me. Isn't that right, peaches?"

I sucked a breath in, resisting the urge to scream in agony.

Jesus, this girl got an iron grip.

"Absolutely correct, like always." I winced out. Julie finally unwrapped her hand from mine, letting cool air and freedom brush my hand.

"Good to know we are on the same page." She looked up at me with her devilishly alluring chestnut eyes looking back at me.

I looked back at my mother, seeing her stifling from a laugh. "I see you have him on a leash, Julie. Good to know someone can keep him in check." She winked at her.

Traitor. My own mother, folks.

I looked at my mother as she had bags under her eyes, as if she hadn't slept lately. "Well, Rose needs some help with planning. Wanna come help us?"

She's always been like this, helping others before helping herself first. It's why I love her, but it still pains me to see her like this. Working as a Nurse at a children's hospital from 4AM to 3PM has been taking her sleep away again.

"Actually, maybe it's best if you go back and get some rest." I said softly. "Julie, text your mom saying that my mom isn't feeling well. I'll send Alex and Reggie to go help her."

She slowly nodded as she looked between us, her eyes asking "Everything alright?", I think she noticed how my demeanor changed. I gave a small smile with a quick nod, it gave her enough to go off to the side and start texting Ms. Molina.

"Mom, did you bring your car?" I asked.

"No, I came by bus. Honey, I know you're concerned but seriously, I'm fine."

I gave her a look that told me the opposite. "You need rest. Come on, we can use my car."

I grabbed her hand and led her to my car. I opened the door for her and helped her in. By the time her head hit the head rest, her eyes were starting to get droopy. I shut the door and pulled out my phone.

chicken head 🐤
Hey
Can you guys go help Ms Molina with some errands?
My mom was supposed to, but she needs rest.