Turning Over a New Leaf

A/N: Whoo! I'm back! OK, first of all, I just want to apologize for such a long friggin' hiatus without warning. At first, my new job was perfectly manageable, and then they just went crazy with their schedule and decided to make me work all of the time! Ugh, so today was the first day I was really able to sit down and concentrate on writing and for that, I'm so so so sorry! Anyways, I hope you enjoy this chapter! We only have three chapters left of the story! Hope you're ready! :D

Monday morning. First day back to school. This was my last chance to make a good impression on everyone, but I didn't care. I knew I had to do something to fix the damage I'd done. I stared at myself in the mirror and did the best I could do. I straightened my hair and put it in a high ponytail atop my head, I put on a little bit of makeup, I threw on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt, and I grabbed my keys, backpack, and black Ray-Bans. I took one look at myself in the mirror and smiled. Elizabeth, I thought to myself, it's time to make it right. I opened the door and walked out.

My story wasn't over yet. I mean, I got Alex's heart, but there was still so much I had to do. I knew that people would be shocked when they saw Alex and I together and I knew one person who would go out of her way to make sure that we broke up — Claude. When school started back up, I could feel pangs of dread in my stomach having to walk past her in the hallway. As I did, she stared me down uncomfortably. I kept walking, not looking in her direction.

I stopped in front of Alex's locker, hoping nothing had changed from the fun we had over the break. He walked up and immediately smiled. When he stopped in front of me, he gave me a kiss on my cheek and said, "Hey, Lizzy-bug! How are you?"

I smiled back at him. "Well, I guess I'd be better if I didn't have Claude give me the death stare every single time I walked by!" We both looked at her down the hall. She was talking to Jack with her back to us. It looked like they were fighting about something. I turned back to Alex, watching him take his books out of his locker. "Did you tell anyone about us yet?"

He paused for a moment, looking down. Then he quickly shook his head. "No... I hope that that's OK. I just know that tensions are really high and I'm not sure everyone is ready for us to be together."

I nodded slowly. "Understood... Well, I have to find a way to fix things or at least... Restore the peace for the last few weeks of school."

Alex nodded back. "We'll find a way together." He grabbed my hand and laced his fingers with mine. "I know that everyone is ready to move on from the past. You just have to go to them, Liz."

"I know." I murmured. The bell rang loudly, signaling that we have three minutes to get to class. "I should get going. See you at lunch?"

Alex smiled. "See you, Liz." He gave me the quickest peck once he was sure no one was looking and then hustled off to class. My heart soared through the clouds looking at him and Jack walking off together. With Alex by my side again, there was nothing I couldn't do.

The day dragged on slowly. No one bothered me, which was nice for a change. Everyone was too busy worrying about college applications, summer vacations, and — of course — prom. I hadn't even taken into account yet that prom was fast approaching. I didn't have a dress, and I wasn't sure if Alex was even up for going. I made a mental note to ask him when I saw him later.