Prom Queen

At last; Prom night was upon us! Limos graced front yards of kids all over town, girls rushed to salons for last minute hair and makeup appointments, guys booked hotel rooms in hopes of deflowering their dates that night, and parents took extra ibuprofen to combat the migraines they were getting from worrying about if their kids would make it home alive. I sat in my room with Claude. She was curling my hair while I was painting my nails. Nerves settled into my stomach and there was a slight pang of sadness. Years ago, I remember saying I didn’t care about Prom and I remember feeling like deep down, I would never get to have this magical night because of the way I looked. Now I knew, all I had to do was wait for my best friend, and I would’ve been hanging with the big boys.

Claude and I then zipped up into our dresses. Hers was a teal blue with a rhinestone belt, and mine was a purple halter. We both turned and looked at ourselves in the full length mirror. She put her arm around me and said, “You look amazing!”

I smiled back at her. “So do you. So do you…” In reality, I couldn’t believe that the girl in the mirror was me. She looked so clean, so mature, so… beautiful.

Suddenly, I heard my mom’s voice from downstairs. “Girls! Are you ready yet?!”

“Coming!” I shouted back to her. I looked at Claude and she looked at me. We grabbed our bags and hugged each other quickly. Whatever happened that night, we were ready.

As we walked downstairs, I heard my mom’s camera snapping. Kat smiled big at the two of us. I could see the tears in my mom’s eyes as she lowered her camera. Her little girl was all grown up and about to leave high school behind in a blaze of glory. “Well, don’t you girls look amazing!” Claude and I smiled at each other. There was a knock on the door. “Oh! I’ll get it!” My mom rushed to the door while Kat fawned over how pretty our gowns were. When she opened the door, she saw Alex and Jack standing on the other side. “Oh! Hi, boys! Are you here to pick up the girls?”

Jack nodded. “Yeah! Are they ready yet?”

Claude turned to me. “Did you tell your mom about you and Alex yet?” I shook my head. I tried to tell her, but I just didn’t know how to say it. I don’t know why the subject made me nervous.

We walked over to the front door and I could see Alex’s smile widen. “You look beautiful, Liz.” He said softly. I could feel my face get hot. I gave him a quick peck on the lips.

At that moment, I heard my mom gasp and Kat whisper, “What the hell?” I turned back to my mom and smiled, while grabbing Alex’s hand.

My mom stammered, trying to find the words to say to convey her shock, but she couldn’t. Instead, she grabbed the two of us and hugged us tightly. “I always knew it. I always knew you two would end up together.” Alex and I laughed awkwardly at the situation. Mom sure knew how to be dramatic.

After a few more pictures from his parents and my mom, we were ready to get to Prom. We drove out to the ballroom, singing songs at the top of our lungs and laughing it up just like old times.

We arrived at the ballroom where Prom was being held and saw that almost the entire senior class was there already. I could see Melanie and Carter walking hand in hand through the doors and almost instantly, my stomach began doing flips. While everyone else piled out of the car, I sat quietly, looking at them walking into the building.