I'm Gonna Be A Supermodel

Chapter 6,

If my life were a movie, the next few days with Claude, Kat, and Amy would’ve been a montage of so many different events. Starting with the mall trip the day after my birthday. You see, Claudia’s dad owns a chain of repair shops that are known for their amazing quality repairs, so, as you can imagine, Claude has a shitload of money sitting in her bank account and she can get as much as she likes from dear old Daddy. See, her parents are divorced and she lives with her mother, so when she sees her father, her dad loves to overcompensate and give her everything her heart desires. She doesn’t mind it. It gives her access to his credit card.

So, that day, we ran around the mall like a couple of girls (we are girls, but you get what I mean). Claudia shoved me in any and every outfit you could possibly think of. Some of them, I even had to admit, looked amazing on me, but others were… well, they looked like a trainwreck to be completely honest, but by the end of that day, I literally walked away with a whole new wardrobe that I couldn’t even imagine.

Then, there was the makeup. That was Kat’s specialty. Kat always wanted to be a makeup artist and her ugly duckling of a sister was the perfect candidate for practice. I’ve gotta admit, the girl was pretty incredible at doing makeup. First, we ran to every single makeup counter we could find in the mall, looking for the best stuff that would suit me. Dark color eyeliner to bring out my light eyes, any color eye shadow she could find that would match my outfits, mascara that was supposed to make my eyelashes look like they could reach out and slap you themselves, blush that would highlight my already prominent cheekbones, and lipstick and gloss that would make my slightly full lips pop, but not distract the world when they looked at me.

When we got back home, Kat taught me how to apply everything while doing a trial run with my makeup. We found that dramatic wasn’t my style, and neither was natural, but the light-colored eye shadow with dark liner, pink blush, and a lightly colored lipstick was perfect for me. At first, it was hard for me to apply that freaking shit myself, but I eventually got the hang of it the more I practiced.

The final thing was my mop of hair. Amy’s mom was a hair dresser and a damn good one. When Amy bought me to her house, she took one look at my hair and knew what to do. First, she washed it with some fancy shampoo and conditioner, then she blew it dry and began to comb through it. When she ran the comb through my hair, there were no tangles. I was totally amazed by this. Then, after my naturally curly hair started curling up again, she let it curl up and sprayed it with this curl-holding stuff so it would stay. When she showed me my hair, I didn’t even recognize myself. It was still the same curly black hair I had always known, but this time, it looked clean, it shined, and you could run your fingers through it. I definitely gave her a good tip. Plus, Amy’s mom gave me a whole bunch of new hair products to use and showed me how to use them. I was so amazed.

After we had done all that, it was Friday and my sister was ready to unveil me to my mother. “Go upstairs and change into one of your new outfits. I wanna show Mom!” Kat said to me excitedly.

I nodded and rushed upstairs. I grabbed a blue skirt, a white t-shirt, and a black blazer and put it on. I grabbed my blue high heels (yes, they got me in heels, thanks to Dr. Scholl’s) and slid them on. Then I did my makeup. Light blue and a little grey shadow, dark eyeliner, that mascara that makes your eyelashes look like they could reach out and slap you themselves, a little bit of blush, and some light beige lipstick. I left my hair out, but continued to scrunch it up and make it look even curlier than usual. Then I waited for the signal.

I suddenly heard Kat, “Gee, I wonder what Liz is up to!” That’s my cue. I walked downstairs, suddenly feeling this random burst of confidence. It was almost as if I was floating right down the stairs. I felt beautiful, pretty, sexy, and cute all at once. I was ready for this.

I walked into the den and said, jokingly, “How do I look, girls?”

My mother’s jaw dropped. I instantly saw tears fill her eyes. “Elizabeth Taylor Schechter? Is… is that even you?” Kat and I nodded in unison. My mom’s eyes let her cry for once and she embraced me. “You look so beautiful, honey! Oh, I can’t believe this is really you! How did this happen?”

“Thank Kat, Claude, and Amy. If it weren’t for them, I wouldn’t have any of this.” I said, smiling at my mom.

She hugged me again. “Oh, well, this is incredible. Monday, at school, everyone will be talking about you!” She stepped back and took another look at me. “Your father would’ve been so proud…”

I felt that stupid lump in my throat again. I hated it when she would say that, but I smiled it away and just said, “Yeah… I bet he would’ve been…”

After more fussing over me, we sat down to eat dinner, and the only thought running through my head was, “Elizabeth Schechter, you are no longer one of the boys.”