A Seventeen Beauty Queen

Chapter 4,

As soon as I had gotten home from the mall that day, I ran into my younger sister’s bedroom. My younger sister, Katherine, was the exact opposite as me. She was very into fashion. Even though she was only thirteen, she already dressed like a supermodel. I knew I could use her help, and maybe even Claudia’s help to start my journey to not being “one of the boys.”

When I burst into her room, she was on the phone with someone, but that didn’t stop me from bugging her. I needed this to happen and she needed to help me. “Kat! I need your help with something!” I said excitedly.

She rolled over on her bed, with the phone still glued to her ear. “Hold on,” she said into the receiver. “What is it, Liz?”

I sat down on her bed and said, “Do you think that you could give me some pointers on how to… well, y’know, look like a girl?”

She sat up. “Amy, I’m gonna have to call you back.” She hung up the phone and stared at me, bewildered by what I had just said. “You want to look like a girl?”

I nodded like a little kid. “Yeah!”

She smirked. “For, like, a school play or something?”

I gave her a look. “Kat, its summer.”

“So, why?! I mean, this is huge, sis! You haven’t bought a new outfit since you started high school and I don’t think you’ve ever worn eyeliner in your life!” She said, laughing. “So, why the sudden change of heart?!”

I sighed. I couldn’t tell her it was for Alex because she’d instantly tell him why I was embarking on this new endeavor. So, I just told her part of the truth. “It’s… for a guy.”

She gasped. “Are you for shizz?!” She screamed. I nodded and blushed lightly. “OMG! I cannot believe it! What’s his name?!”

I shook my head. “Not telling you. It’s too personal, but I need your help. So, if you could just give me some pointers or let me borrow some of your clothes or something.”

She buried her face in her hands and squealed. “No. I live for makeovers! I am gonna make you into a supermodel!” She got up and picked up a purple bin filled to the brim with Seventeen magazines. Then she turned the bin over on the bed and started tearing through one of the magazines. “When I’m done with you, you’re gonna look like a star!”

I gulped. I might’ve started a riot with this idea, but it was for the best. She first opened one of the magazines and started reading up on something to do with makeup. “What color would your skin be?” she mumbled under her breath. Then she pushed back my messy bangs and took a look. “Your skin is definitely an olive/bronze color. I’ll have to look into this more. Take your ponytail down.” She asked me. I pulled out my hair tie and let my hair fall down. It was shoulder length, and really curly so it was almost impossible to comb out.

She picked up a comb and attempted to comb through my mane. “God, Lizzie, do you ever comb your hair?!”

She pulled a knot with the comb really hard. “Ow! That would be a definite no!”

She sighed. “We’re gonna need a lot more help for this one. Get Claudia on the phone and tell her to come over right now.” I nodded and then Kat picked up her phone and pressed a button. “Hello, Amy? Yeah, hi. I’m gonna need your help with something huge.”