22 Preparations

Roman POV

I opened the door to our shared home and was greeted once again with a delicious smell. A knowing smile crept across my face as I set my suitcase aside. Then I went in search of the source of the aroma. Arriving in the kitchen, I saw Y/N standing at the stove with her back to me, stirring something.

"Hey beauty!" I said.

She spun them around and beamed at me. With quick steps, Y/N came to me and hugged me tightly. This, right here, was how it was supposed to be. I sighed in relief as a weight fell from my shoulders that I always felt when my future wife was not with me.

"Hey Superman! I didn't hear you come in. It's good to have you home." she said as she lifted her head to look at me.

"You were probably busy cooking, baby girl. And let me tell you, it smells heavenly." I replied before giving her a kiss.

"Thank you, Ro. I'm in the process of getting everything ready for tomorrow. This is my first big Christmas dinner. I've never cooked for 30 people before." said Y/N as she took my hand and pulled me over to the stove with her.

She quickly began stirring the pot again, which was bubbling away. A glance inside showed me that it was probably gravy.

"That wasn't what I smelled, but it's still great," I stated.

"What you're smelling, my love, is the apple pie in the oven," she explained to me.

"You're making the dessert yourself, too?" I asked.

"Yes. I made an apple pie, a berry tart and a 3 layer chocolate cake. The dough for the rolls is already in the fridge. It can proof in all its glory until tomorrow. The mashed potatoes are also ready. Now I just have to prepare the vegetables and season the turkey." she listed.

"Baby, that all sounds great. But please tell me you don't want to do it all by yourself." I replied as I put a hand on her hip.

She turned off the stove and then looked at me a little guiltily. I knew that look.

"I don't. I swear. Your sisters are bringing side dishes and the salad." replied Y/N.

"That doesn't sound very convincing. What did you do?" I asked a little suspiciously.

"Nothing at all. I just told them what they could do to make it fit with the rest of the meal. Okay, and maybe I gave them the recipes." She finally admitted with her face turning dark red.

I chuckled at her embarrassment and lifted her up to sit on the countertop. My arms wrapped around her waist as Y/N's legs wrapped around my hips.

"You're really cute. I think it's great that this dinner means so much to you, but isn't that a bit much for one person? I don't want you to stress about it." I replied, wiping a strand of hair out of her forehead and behind her ear.

"I'm not stressed about it! I love it and it gives me joy. I'm well prepared. The schedule I made, with the recipes and everything, works great." she explained and I immediately saw the excitement sparkle in her eyes.

"And I love you for being so into it," I said, then leaned in and pressed my mouth to hers.

This woman was really something else. To me, she was unique and unlike anyone else. Everything she did, she did with passion and dedication. It made me so happy how much better she was feeling since she gave up wrestling. She was herself again and the joy she radiated was also back.

"I love you too, Ro." she whispered as she rested her head on my shoulder and took a deep breath.

We paused like that and enjoyed our closeness. But then a phone beeped, breaking the peace of that moment.

"Sorry." said Y/N, reaching for her phone.

"It's Na. She wants me to send her a picture of my dress. She's a little sad she couldn't be there to pick it out." she explained to me.

"Ohhh... Can I see a photo too?" I asked, trying to look at the display.

"No way, mister! This is a surprise. You're going to have to be patient." she replied, pulling the phone away.

"Oh come on, baby girl." I whined, hoping she would give in.

"Nope. Not a chance." said Y/N, but just at that moment my phone was now beeping.

"Oh fuck!" she cursed.

"What is it?" I wanted to know.

"I accidentally sent it to you. Give me your phone, please, babe. I need to delete this." she said, waiting for me to hand her my phone.

I pulled it out of my back pocket and smirked.

"I don't think so, baby girl. I'm going to take a look at exactly what you sent me first." I teased.

"Don't you dare!" she gasped.

Quickly, I moved a few steps away from her. I set off in the direction of the living room.

"Roman!" she called after me.

I glanced over my shoulder and saw her hop off the countertop. With quick steps, she followed me. When she reached me, Y/N made a grab for the phone, but I put my arm in the air so she couldn't reach it.

"I'm serious, Ro! Don't look at it!" she warned me.

"Oh I don't know, Y/N. I'm soooo curious." I teased her a bit more.

I turned my back to her and was about to open the picture she had accidentally sent me. Suddenly, however, she jumped on my back, throwing me off balance. I was not expecting it. It was definitely something she had copied from Naomi.

And so it happened that I landed face first in the cushions on the couch, while Y/N squatted on me giggling loudly. I turned around under her and looked into her victorious face as she snatched the phone out of my hand.

"Ha! I win! The dress will remain a secret until the wedding." She laughed as she deleted the picture.

"Dammit." I grumbled.

"I always win, Roman. You're the best proof of that." said Y/N softly as she leaned in and gave me a tender kiss.

"I'm the real winner, baby girl." I murmured, wrapping my arms tightly around her so I could pull her closer to me.

"What smells so funny in here?" I asked after a few minutes as a slightly burnt smell hit my nose.

"Oh God, the apple pie!" gasped Y/N in horror, jumping off the couch and running into the kitchen.

I, on the other hand, couldn't help but chuckle. If a burnt pie was the price for such beautiful moments with my girl, I would pay it anytime.