Park Play

After my agonizing defeat, I didn't want to show myself to Hun or the others. I was completely shattered and hurt. I was starting to think that they would kick me out because I failed so badly. I stayed in a room connected to the Fortune Cookie factory with the door closed. By the smell of it, it may have once been a broom closet. The dim light cast shadows across the floor, making me see shapes of demons and words writing "failure" in the low light and dark shadows. But I knew my eyes were playing tricks on me and that was all.

After an hour or two, I may have fallen asleep, a knock came from the door. I heard Hun ask, "Sophia? We need you out here."

"Are you gonna kick me out of the gang?" I asked, not sure if I wanted the answer or not.

I heard a soft sigh then, "No. We'll try another museum soon. No, right now I would just like to go and take a walk and maybe talk."

"Really?" I questioned, starting to get up from my curled up position on the ground. I was also underneath a high-hanging shelf.

"Sure."

With his answer, I opened the door and he looked at me. His sunglasses were surprisingly off, but because of the brighter light was behind him, I mostly saw his silhouette. I was shorter than him by a decent few inches, so his face was shadowed as well. He stepped to the side and I went by him. He followed me. When I slowed in my steps, unsure of where to go, he set his hand between my shoulder blades and led me out the door of the factory.

"Where we going?" I asked, not turning to him.

He was quiet for a few feet and I was about to ask again where we were going then he answered, "Central Park."

"Why there?"

"I said to take a walk, and this is the best-known place to walk."

I looked down, understanding what he said. We stayed quiet as we walked to Central Park. The night was cool. I didn't realize I had stayed inside so an entire day there at the factory. I guess I was pretty tired after staying up for so long trying to break into one of the bigger museums. But Hun said nothing for about twenty minutes.

Until he asked, "Do you have friends?"

"I had three," I answered quietly, Naomi, Cindy and Julie flashing past my eyes. I pushed them away.

That was when he looked at me, "What happened?"

"They disappeared," I answered quietly, closing my eyes. "Just one after another. There were four of us altogether. We did almost everything together. The first one to go was Naomi, the leader basically.... At least, I always thought of her as the leader. Next was Julie, the oldest and the wisest and calmest on most days. And then Cindy was last. She always had a laugh to share. And when they all disappeared, nobody remembered them; not their parents or anybody."

Hun looked at me. We had stopped as I tried to keep the tears from falling. I raised my hand and wiped away the little globs of tears around the corners of my eyes before they could fall. I gritted my teeth, knowing that I probably looked stupid in front of Hun. But then he hugged me. I froze on spot, eyes wide.

"I wouldn't forget you if you were next," he said softly. "You have a strong and eager heart. I can tell you cared for them. But don't forget you're new friends."

"Are you a friend?" I asked, looking at his dark eyes. He seemed different without his sunglasses. "Or something more?"

"I would prefer something more if you ask me," he smirked. I imagine he was trying to lighten the mood. I rolled my eyes and scoffed in a friendly manner, continuing to walk. Hun walked beside me and took my hand closest to him. "I'm being serious, Sophia."