Dinner Date

With Leo being a type of gentleman, he was helping me through the slick spots of the sewers and even offered his hand when I went up the ladder to the topside world. I took it willingly and sat on the edge of the manhole with my legs still dangling down in the sewers. I looked about and smiled. The air was getting warmer, even at night. And the sun was just setting, meaning the days were longer as well. Summer.

I hauled myself up and closed the metal barrier to the sewers before following Leo up a flight of emergency stairs to the side of the building. He offered his hand again once we reached the top. I took it again. The sudden wind almost knocked me back down the alley below. My fur sounded and felt rather weird in this mid-summer wind.

Leo, however, was ready and grabbed my wrist to help me get steady. He seemed to have known that I was in a frozen form of shock. Once I got used to the wind, we continued. Leo led me around the tops of rooftops. He didn't say much, if anything at all.

After a while, Leo stopped and peered over the edge at a noodle shop. Seemed pretty simple enough. He hopped down and I watched as he walked right into the store. I froze and blinked. Was he nuts?! He could be seen! Then the FBI or some alien agency would come and take him away!

I jumped down and rushed in to make him stop. As soon as I rushed in, Leo was sitting down at a booth with a man behind the booth with blind glasses. Oh. I lowered my ears in complete embarrassment and walked over to Leo. He patted the seat next to him as I came over and I sat down.

"What can I get for you, Leonardo?" The old man asked. "The usual?"

"Yes, please, Murakami-san," Leo answered happily.

The old man nodded and turned, getting to work. "I haven't heard your voice in a while, Leonardo. Your brothers have come in, but not you."

"I was healing," Leo answered, as if he was expecting the comment. "I needed some time to myself."

Curious, I watched Leo from the corner of my eye, wanting him to explain himself. But neither he nor Murakami said anything. I frowned in my own disappointment.

My tail tip flicked and I turned to look at the tabby-striped tail. Odd, I kept thinking to myself. Freak. Mutant. I set my head on the counter in front of me with my hands cushioning the counter. Why did Naomi and Mikito and Julie want this weird form? You get tails and ears and fur from the outcome, but people call you weird.

Suddenly, a flat plate of food appeared in front of my face. My head jerked up and I moved my arms. The food looked like dumplings and had a strange scent to then. I opened my mouth a little to get a better smell and found more flavors in the dumpling than a Chilli cook--off. Beside the dumplings were chopsticks. I picked up the pair and cautiously poked at one dumpling, vaguely aware of Leo watching, before picking it up with the sticks and popping it into my mouth.

The first thing that crossed my mind was "Hot!" But then the flavor smells I got from the dumpling earlier exploded into a thousand tiny organisms. My eyes widened and I felt my fur rise. I purred and started eating, pleased with the result of the food. Excellent quality. How come I've heard of this before? It was so good!

After finishing the first dumpling, I snatched up another one and ate that, my tail swishing happily with each chew. The purr in my throat grew and only paused when I had to swallow. I looked at Leo with a bright expression, and he smiled before eating his own dumplings.

When I finished my second, I had to ask, "What are these called?"

"They are called Pizza Gyoza," Murakami answered me. His back add turned again. "The turtles saved my life and I created this recipe for them for my thanks." One of my ears flicked at the mention of turtles. So he knew what Leo was and want scared? "My shop has grown in popularity since then. They have given me much."

I smiled. So they were the nice guys. They helped blind noodle shop owners. My tail curled happily as I ate another Gyoza. Pizza... I purred again. I knew the turtles were addicted to pizza, but not this much!

The rest of the night went without any more talking. That, or my purring was blocking out any sounds. Cats could purr louder than their letting on. Or I may just be bigger.... But when Leo and I were finished with eating, I leaned back in my chair and set my hands on my stomach. I trailed my tongue over my lips, and even found a few whiskers to clean. I grabbed a napkin and began cleaning. I'm not sure how much of the food made it on to my face. Even if it was visible or not.

Leo started to get up and reached in one of his belt pockets and pulled out a ten dollar bill. "Keep the change, Murakami."

"Have a safe trip home, Leonardo. And Sophia," Murakami added. I paused. Did I introduce myself? My tail flicked in suspicion but I said nothing as we left.

Jumping to the nearest roof, Leo led the way home again. I followed quietly. He was fast, but going slow enough to have me keep up. It was pitch black out and I looked up at the sky as I jumped another roof. But I misjudged my timing on landing and missed the edge of the building and smacked my skull in the wall. I tried to get hold of something with my claws as I skidded down into the alley below.

"Leo!" I cried halfway down. I wasn't sure if he heard me. But I landed behind a dumpster that was pulled out somewhat from a recent dumpster truck doing it's runs.

I peered around the corner and found legs. I looked up while lowering my ears and found sunglasses, black hair, and three goons with Dragon tattoos behind him. Hun.

Keeping my ears plastered to my head, I hissed with such ferocity, I spat as well. My fur along my bank rose and I felt my tail whipping behind me in a warning. Hopefully, however, he wouldn't recognize me.

"Look at that cat," Fong said. "Must be from the zoo if it's that big." A growl found its way to my throat.

"No," Hun said. "It's a mutant." My eyes widened a little. "You can tell by the scrunched shape and the way it screamed on the way down." So they watched me fall. They may have moved the dumpster. "But who is it?"

I growled again and stood up, using the dumpster for support. I felt my claws digging into the metal work of it and lashed my tail at the odd feeling. Hun and the others watched me as I narrowed my eyes. "Why don't you find out?" I spat again.

Hun chuckled so low, I crouched down a little with another growl, ready to attack. "Sophia," he said. "I was wondering when you'd show up again."

"Oh were you?" I snarled. "Just to take me again without my consent? Knock me out and hope nobody would find me?"

"Yes," Hun answered as he came closer to me. I tried backing up and found dumpster. I hissed as he came even closer.

A loud crashing sound came from behind Hun as Tsoi was flung into the sidewalk of the main street. Hun turned and I tried to peer over him. Leo was standing with Sid in a death grip before kicking him away. Hun growled and baked up.

"Bad timing, Turtle."

"Never too late," Leo countered simply. The two lunged at one another as Fong took Hun's place. I growled again and whipped my tail.

"Little kitty can think she can do something," Fong teased. My claws were beginning to hurt from them digging into the dumpster and the wall. "I know you won't do anything." He reached for me and I hissed with a screech, making him pause. I lunged for him and dug my long claws into his shoulder. Like a cat, I used my back legs to scar him for life.

Fong cried out below me, struggling. Someone grabbed my scruff just as I was about to bite down on Fong's neck. I turned to attack who was grabbing me but saw green then blue eyes. My fur laid flat and I let Fong go. He got up and staggered away. His clothes around his sides and back were shredded and I looked at my claws and saw blood and fabric thread mixed with the glistening claws. I hissed at him and he whined and left.

Hun was no where to be seen. Leo took my shoulder and led me up a fire escape on the side of the building. I climbed up while looking around. Leo lealed the way home again. And icouldn't helpbut think on the way back.

I defeated one of the Purple Dragons, even if he was one of the weakest ones. But I will defeat Hun for what he did to me. My next step was to train with Splinter. And maybe learn from Leo as well.