Night Light

After Julie asked to be alone with Opal, the rest of us left. But then the twins barged in and made Opal wail. Naomi and Raph had grabbed the twins up, scowling at them for making their new buddy cry. Of course they took interest in that immediately and went wide-eyed and wanted to know more, but their parents just carried them out.

I was on the couch, relaxing under the pressures of the day. I had a movie in that I'd never seen before and eating some popcorn that I found in the cabinet and decided to microwave. Most of the kernels were burnt because their microwave was stronger than I imagined; I knew it was with the help of Donnie. But I didn't mind a few dozen burnt kernels.

Mikey and Mikito went to play the ping ball game, causing the most racket and disturbing my movie. When I accepted that they weren't going to stop anytime soon, I got up after finishing my popcorn and got up to stretch.

As I stretched, I hit somebody when my arms were back and I jumped away in fright. I turned around and saw Leo. He blinked then smiled, "Sorry."

"You're excused..." I muttered. I left the living room without another glance. I knew I shouldn't be as rude as I am to Leo, but it bugs me how he's always just there. And he acts as if he's never kicked or hit me unconscious. It bothered me...

So I decided to talk to someone about it, and not one of the girls. And for some reason, the first person that came to mind was Donnie.

I find him in the lab with Julie spinning on a twirly chair. Her legs were bunched up against her body and she was squealing with delight, her tail streaming out where she turned. She was barely going that fast...

Where she noticed me between her spins, she giggled out, "Hello Sophie! Wanna join me?"

"No thanks," I said kindly, shaking my head. "I just came to talk to Donnie."

"What about me?" Donnie grunted, scouting out from under a mechanical device. It had eight seats that looked like they could be separated.

Julie was looking at me suspiciously, he spinning done and tail flicking as I came up to him. "I wanted to ask about... Leo..."

Amusement glittered in Donnie's eyes and Julie started spinning again, giggling.

"What do you want to know about him?" Donnie asked, a glint of humor in his eyes.

I shrugged. "Just something... I'm tired of being in the dark about all... This. You guys always seem like you know more, especially him! He appears from nowhere and acts like I should forgive him for kicking me unconscious twice!"

"See... Now that's just Leo," Donnie explained. "He will kick you unconscious for not listening. If he knows you well."

"But I don't know him," I snapped. "It feels weird..."

"Then maybe," Julie interfered, stopping in her spinning and looking at me. "You should try to get to know him... It's the least you can do."

"But..." I muttered, but a baby's cry cut me off and Julie got up and left the lab. Probably too check on Opal.

I looked at Donnie and sighed. My eyes were downcast. What should I do?

"Is there... Any way for me to go topside?" I asked.

"Not at the moment," Donnie answered truthfully. "But I would imagine soon."

"How soon?"

"Soon enough."

I grunted in anger and got up, leaving the lab. I went to my room and closed the door. I didn't even bother to turn the light on.

That's when I noticed a new kind of light. I looked over to the side by the dresser. There was a night light. It was never there before because I would have seen it.

It had a beautiful blue tint around it. I watched it for a few seconds. Then I began to drift off to waking dreams.

The only thing I saw was the light, but then it began moving and having form. It stood as Leo like in my previous day dream with a tie. He was standing in the same position as well where it ended last time.

This time, though, he offered his hand. He smiled softly as another hand took it. It was clear, unlike last time.

"And love...
"And love me for all eternity...
"My dearest one, my darling dear
"Your mighty words astound me..."

Leo began dancing with the dark shadow. I could tell it was female, however, because it was singing the verses.

They were slow at first, only holding one hand as if it would be drastic to let go of that one hand.

"But I've no need for mighty deeds
"When I feel your arms around me."

They stopped and Leo wrapped the figure close, smiling down at her. Her figure began to look even more noticeable.

A turtle, obviously. Everything was visible. Except her head.

But my vision cut short and I held my head. The night light hadn't changed a bit from my experience and I huffed.

Why would I be playing tricks on myself? And who was that turtle?