I

TEEN ROMANCE !

Aaliyah lay on her boyfriend, Cole's, bed, watching as he eerily played Fortnite a bit too calmly

Aaliyah lay on her boyfriend, Cole's, bed, watching as he eerily played Fortnite a bit too calmly. Now and then, he would shout at the tv, and it would make her jump out of her skin. She would try to talk to him and ask him questions, but he only ever responded with low grunts.

He never seemed to listen.

She would ask him if he wanted to go out to eat, if he wanted to go for a walk, if he even wanted to talk to her. Cole never answered, and if he did, he would ask her to stop talking because he was 'focusing on the game.'

What is there to even focus on while playing Fortnite?

Aaliyah sighed, running tender fingers through her silky dark brown hair as she glanced between her boyfriend and the TV. She couldn't get through to him and it made her sad.

She and Cole always planned for them to go on so many romantic dates while she was staying with him, but it was all for nothing.

Aaliyah fished her phone out of her pocket and went to her contacts, searching through them until she found her best friend's number.

The phone rang as she waited for her friend to pick up on the other end. A couple of seconds later, she heard the bubbly voice of her friend. "Hey Aaliyah, what's up?"

"Hi, Lani! Do you want to hang out today?" Aaliyah asked quietly, trying not to distract Cole's focus on his game.

"Sure! I'm sure my parents wouldn't mind you coming over. I'm so excited to see you!" Lani exclaimed.

"Alright! I'll see you in a bit!" Aaliyah hung up, slowly moving from her spot on Cole's bed. She walked past him slowly, not wanting to distract him from his game.

She walked into their shared bedroom and went over to her suitcase, pulling out a basic pink polo and a pair of jeans.

They were her favorite pair; they were faded blue and jean hearts were sewn onto them. Aaliyah went to the bathroom and got dressed, fixing her hair and putting on a bit of makeup.

She walked out of the bathroom to put on her shoes: a basic pair of black converse. Looking in the full-body mirror Cole kept in his room, she did a once-over and decided she looked good enough. Aaliyah grabbed a small black backpack to put her phone and other necessities into and pulled the strap over her shoulder, giving herself one last look in the mirror.

Cole tore his gaze away from his game to look over at his girlfriend. He jokingly wolf-whistled, making Aaliyah giggle softly. "Where are you going?" he asked.

"To the carnival," Aaliyah paused, hooking her earrings into her ears, "Lani and I are going together."

Cole nodded, using two fingers to silently ask her to come closer. Aaliyah obliged and stood by his side, running a hand through his silky blond hair.